• You cannot reply to this topic

MacServer Disc of the Month for June 2008

#1 User is offline   Nicholas Pyers 

• Power user
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

June Disc of the Month: MacServer

Australian Macworld has partnered with Australian Mac User Groups to provide a Discs of the Month to User Group members and this month's title is MacServer.

Turn your old, or not so old, Mac in to a MacServer.

You don't need a Xserve nor Mac OS X Server...

Your "ordinary" Macintosh can easily become;
--> a video security system
--> a home automation server
--> a telephone answering machine
--> a complete BBS messaging system
--> a web, ftp, proxy & email server
--> an audio & video streaming server
plus tools to control and monitor your server remotely are included

The MacServer CD includes the following applications;
-- Net
Abyss Web Server; ASAPH; Chyrp; Dynamic DNS; Eudora Internet Mail Server; Kerio WebSTAR; mamp; NotMac; Papaya; Pure-FTPd; SquidMan; sshhelper; WaterRoof
-- Telco
Asterisk; PageSender; phlink; PhoneValetHome
-- Media
Allegro Media Server; KavaTunes; Nicecast; On Air
-- Collaboration
FirstClass Server; Openfire; Spark; WiredServer
-- Other
EvoCam; Indigo; KeyCamX
-- Admin
Lithium Core; Chicken of the VNC; fseventer; HamachiX; Vine

For more detailed descriptions see the June 2008 issue of Australian Macworld, or the attached PDF.

The applications supplied on this CD are supplied as is and we make no representations regarding the applications or any information related thereto. Any questions, complaints or claims regarding the applications must be directed to the appropriate software vendor.
Various different license types apply. Some titles require further payment direct to the application publisher to enable the full feature sets and functions.Some functions require additional hardware and/or software to be installed first.

MacServer is available for only $10, from participating Macintosh User Groups, including;

AMUG Sydney
AUSOM Incorporated
BEAUT
Central Victorian Macintosh Users Inc
Geraldton Macintosh User Group
Gold Coast Apple Users Group
MacTalk Hunter
Toowoomba Apple and Macintosh User Group Inc

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

Nicholas , why dont you talk to our industrious leader MJCP, and see if we cant buy the CDS from AMW? Then the proceeds could go back to the various Groups?

I know it may sound a bit extreme, but it could generate much needed revenue for the groups, i know there is a lot of stuff on the cds you list i would love to buy, but with my work load i will never get a chance to visit any user groups, and be able to add to there bottom line.

TL

Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   Nicholas Pyers 

• Power user
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (TLCAUS @ May 28 2008, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nicholas , why dont you talk to our industrious leader MJCP, and see if we cant buy the CDS from AMW? Then the proceeds could go back to the various Groups?
I know it may sound a bit extreme, but it could generate much needed revenue for the groups, i know there is a lot of stuff on the cds you list i would love to buy, but with my work load i will never get a chance to visit any user groups, and be able to add to there bottom line.
TL

The difficulty is how to spread the funds back to the MUGs... there are about 25 active MUGs in Australia... and 8 of them are known to be actively involved with the Disc of the Month project.

Who produces the physical discs? Once you take in to account the cost of the Disc, printing the label, mailing, merchant fees etc, there won't be all that much left from the $10 to distribute to the MUGs.

As has been mentioned a few times in these forums, a couple of the Mac User Groups already offer people the opportunity to order from their websites or by contacting the MUG directly.

AUSOM in particular have an extensive range of ordering options... the first is via their online store.. then fax and postal mail are the next options listed.... and the fourth and final option is purchasing from their meetings... so there are options for just about everyone. I know they are happy to send Discs anywhere in Australia for the standard $10 ($15 for DVDs) purchase price.

Other MUGs can probably help out with various ordering options as well.

#4 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

O I missed that bit, thanks Nicholas, thats a very handy option

Tl
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1