Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Apple's External dial-up modem and alternatives? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple's External dial-up modem and alternatives? Brands of external USB dial-up modems for Mac OS X?

#1 User is offline   Linda 

• Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Mac laptops don't have dial-up modems, so, when I tried to buy external one (dongle) in a Brisbane City Next Byte Mac store found out they don't have such dongle...

Can someone tell me, are there any third party brands of external USB dial-up modems proven capable to work on Mac OS X and where to find them?

And some info about real Mac resellers in Brisbane will help (not Myer or JbHifi type of stores).

(By the way I did websearch of the big company Netcomm but they don't have any, and a number of online stores look ,well, a bit dodgy or don't provide any real tech info.)

Thanks for any practical advise about this external dial-up modem problem!

Linda - keen Mac user but with low technical competence :-)

#2 User is offline   Xavier Verhoeven 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

I think eBay would be the best bet for an Apple USB modem. I just looked, and there appear to be a couple.

#3 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Linda @ Jul 16 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mac laptops don't have dial-up modems, so, when I tried to buy external one (dongle) in a Brisbane City Next Byte Mac store found out they don't have such dongle...

Why not try a 3G modem instead? Telstra, Optus and Vodafone all sell prepaid modems. The advantages are that they just plug into the USB port I'm using one now to post this from my MacBook Pro and they're broadband, not slow, old dial-up!

Pre-paid prices are very low.
Mick

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users