• You cannot reply to this topic

Apple gets touchy over iphone 4

#1 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Apple, are getting a little sensitive about all the Iphone 4 criticism, it seems they have now removed all the posts from there forums, that say anything negative about the iPhones reception problem.

I personally have a better idea, FIX THE DAMN THING, and listen to your customers... we are the ones that keep you in business !!!!

Full story here at Appleinsider

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#2 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Things Mac related

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

There's nothing to fix! Even with the "fault" the iPhone 4 has betterr reception than all previous iPhones.
I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners." - Unknown

Pete

#3 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

But it still has a dead spot on the left hand corner, and its still a lemon.

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#4 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:• Apple Inc.
    • Sony
    • Nintendo
    • Pixar
    • Star Wars
    • Superman
    • Reading
    • Food - Cooking
    • Photography
    • Design
    • Great Coffee

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

as much as don't won't to say any thing negative, i half agree with TL, i wouldn't call it a lemon but i do think Apple need to officially address this. that open letter wasn't enough. Jason Snell from the US MacWorld definitely found he had the antenna problem under certain circumstance, now maybe all phones do this and people are just taking more note of it since it's all over the internet. i do think that the problem isn't as wide spread as some are making out, but if it's as simple as software update, they need to be giving us constant updates. i was a sceptical at first especially with gizmodo the ones making all the noise as I don't consider their stories "gospel" but it is a problem even if it is minor, i'd really just like Steve Jobs to give us an explanation of what is really going on, i do understand how bars shown on a phone don't really mean much and does depend how the software is configured to display them. According to Jason Snell the reception can range between 15% and 100% on 4 to 5 bars, so the bars aren't really accurate but i would like to know for sure what is going on. i am a HUGE Apple fan and I will definitely get an iPhone 4 but if you listen to the last US MacWorld podcast and watch this quick video, it does make you wonder...

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/12/consum...-signal-issues/

jz
jz
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" - Steve Jobs

#5 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

The entire iPhone 4 thing has put me off, I am very seriously looking at a new samsung, and a HTC, dream.

Tl
Come on 20K

Ken

#6 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• AMW Legend (R.I.P)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Does that square with the comments you made elsewhere on the forum today regarding Android apps, TL?
Mick

#7 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

Yes it does Mick, I am not a huge app downloader, so the app side of things doesn't worry me to much, all I want is a decent mobile phone that gets good reception.

Tl
Come on 20K

Ken

#8 User is offline   Xavier Verhoeven 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

There are some nice Android phones out there... I'm hoping to test one of the new LG Optimus Chics when I can get my hands on one.

But I'll still get an iPhone 4 - because I'm just too invested in the iPhone ecosystem to not continue with it. Guess I'll just have to get a Bumper case too.

#9 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:57 PM

I posted this earlier today:

The problems are caused by the USAs failure to adopt newer and better standards for mobile phones.
If Verizon had decided to invest in real-world (not USA) technology you’d have competing GSM networks so that consumers would have a choice about what network to run their iPhones on.
Instead they are using technology that Australia’s number one telco sold to a third world country when they moved with the times.
Apple are wanting AT&T to ‘fess up on this issue.
Again, where are the outcries from the UK? Japan?Germany?
There aren’t any because all of those countries have robust and reliable 21st century mobile networks with good signal strength for their subscribers.

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners." - Unknown

Pete

#10 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
    • Sony
    • Nintendo
    • Pixar
    • Star Wars
    • Superman
    • Reading
    • Food - Cooking
    • Photography
    • Design
    • Great Coffee

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Xavier Verhoeven @ Jul 13 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I'll still get an iPhone 4 - because I'm just too invested in the iPhone ecosystem to not continue with it. Guess I'll just have to get a Bumper case too.

yep i'm with you XV.

jz
jz

#11 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

Well i had a good laugh over the Iphone 4 this morning, even Top Gear, is now jumping on the band wagon.

TL

Come on 20K

Ken

#12 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Now there's this from someone who actually has a clue

Pete

#13 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (pmoeser @ Jul 13 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All this negativity towards the iPhone 4 has really put a dampner on the whole thing for me. I was really looking forward to getting one, but now I just might wait and see what happens.

I am a massive fan of Apple, but this has really made me annoyed with them. It does need to be dealt with better..more updates and press releases from Apple would be great..... they can't be all secretive about this. That's the only criticism I have. Being secretive about issues looks arrogant in the publics eye, and can come to bite them further down the track. But anyway, the problem is solved with a case, and I read that 75% of iPhone users, use a case...so is it really that big a deal?

But besides all that the press do blow things way out of proportion.......for heavens sake....Windows has had bugs since day dot, and people still buy the friggin pathetic OS.....everyone still seems to flock to Microsoft Windows if they have a PC, even though they know the OS has issues.... and what's even more annoying is that Microsoft mainly produce software, so you think they would have got it right from the begining, while Apple do absolutely everything....so perhaps the press and people in general need to forgive Apple some what for this mistake and just realise that no other IT company in the world produces hardware and software to the level Apple does, and most of the time they get it right!

Pete's comment about outcries from UK? Japan?Germany?....I was thinking about this too....we haven't heard any complaints from those countries....so let's see if this will be an issue in Australia....it would be an absolute classic if there was no issue and it was AT&T's network. Surely there is a way to unlock the iPhone in the US and test it on another network?

There's my rant for the day... laugh.gif

Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#14 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (bornstein75 @ Jul 14 2010, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pete's comment about outcries from UK? Japan?Germany?....I was thinking about this too....we haven't heard any complaints from those countries....so let's see if this will be an issue in Australia....it would be an absolute classic if there was no issue and it was AT&T's network. Surely there is a way to unlock the iPhone in the US and test it on another network?

I'd be surprised if we have the so-called number of dropouts related to "bridging the gap" that they have in the US.

Without sounding too much like TL, maybe I'd even eat my hat! laugh.gif

Pete

#15 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
    • Sony
    • Nintendo
    • Pixar
    • Star Wars
    • Superman
    • Reading
    • Food - Cooking
    • Photography
    • Design
    • Great Coffee

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (pmoeser @ Jul 13 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I posted this earlier today:

The problems are caused by the USAs failure to adopt newer and better standards for mobile phones.
If Verizon had decided to invest in real-world (not USA) technology you’d have competing GSM networks so that consumers would have a choice about what network to run their iPhones on.
Instead they are using technology that Australia’s number one telco sold to a third world country when they moved with the times.
Apple are wanting AT&T to ‘fess up on this issue.
There aren’t any because all of those countries have robust and reliable 21st century mobile networks with good signal strength for their subscribers.

well said, great information.

as i said before, i'll be getting an iPhone 4 no matter what, and i usually back Apple all the way, but it would be nice to hear them say what the real problem is, if it's just a usa problem then tell everyone it's AT&T.

jz

just found this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/13/pr-exp...ssue-snowballs/

jz
jz

#16 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hang on Pete, there is not that many hats to go around, i have eaten enough lately to keep the average milliner in business for months.

But just to back up a few inches, Yes people DO put cases on iPhones no argument from me there... "BUT" and you know there will be a "BUT" somewhere...

WHY on earth should we have to put a cover on our new iphone to make us for apples stuff ups? If you buy the phone it should just work as advertised, not with a cover...

Would you buy a car, and sit in the dealership revving it up, and then find out to actually drive it you you need Tyres?
I don't think so.

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#17 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

That's been the whole point TL. The iPhone works better than most when signal strength is normal and even in low signal areas. It's only in low signal areas where the attenuation caused by a sweaty conducting hand over the gap causes problems.

I'll wager that the most complaints in Australia will be from Optus customers with their already flaky network access issues.

If I was running Telstra, I'd be calling Steve and telling him to send a bunch of the handsets down here pronto so the USA can see what occurs when you use the phone on a normal network.

Pete

#18 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

Don't do that to me Pete, I will need to find something else to "bleep" stir about around here.

Tl
Come on 20K

Ken

#19 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
    • Sony
    • Nintendo
    • Pixar
    • Star Wars
    • Superman
    • Reading
    • Food - Cooking
    • Photography
    • Design
    • Great Coffee

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

also pmoser, the bars apparently mean nothing - the signal may be fine - it's all to do with how the software displays the bars (apparently) confused.gif

jz
jz

#20 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Ok, all jokes aside... Yes I am being serious for a second, but during apples field tests. They almost always would of kept some sort of cover on the new iPhone so nobody would have picked up it's new design.

Just think back to the lost iPhone, it was hidden in a cover !!! Is it possible that because it was always in a cover that apple didn't click to the reception issues ???? Or is that to simple an answer.

Tl
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users