Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: bootcamp/vista=any tips for better gaming performance? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bootcamp/vista=any tips for better gaming performance?

#1 User is offline   media-sorcerer 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:too many to mention,

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

howdy all from me,im playing some great titles on my imac 27/i5 and its pretty good so far,does anyone have any tips for improving performance in vista,i heard you can turn off some "services" to get better performance,and turn on readyboost too,with usb, sticks?what services do i need to de-activate?,by the way,thanks amw for the brilliant review of half life series,im now playing it cos of that review and lovin it big time,so good one,hope for more games reviews from amw,really good idea for the mag too i believe,hope you review more games soon!!!!

im using steam and there are a few good titles native to mac,so have a look anyone into games,
if you got any tips pls let me know,thanks from david.
i woke up and i was breathing,another good day!!!

#2 User is offline   Ben_ 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I don't think Ready Boost will improve things unless you don't have much ram to start with. Given that you have a 27 inch iMac, I'm assuming you have enough ram to run Vista adequately.

Make sure you have installed all relevant service packs to Vista, I think SP1 for vista improved performance. I think Windows 7 performs marginally better at gaming also.

Many programs install startup items and tray items which chew up resources. You can use a program like Autoruns to remove unwanted startup programs. Just work your way through your startup items and disable the ones that you know you don't need. If you are unsure, google the startup item. For tray items, right click on the ones you don't think you need and see if there are options for that program, usually there is an option in the settings to not load the program into the tray.

Other than that, there are heaps of sites that give tips to improve performance (example here).

Given that your mac is pretty new, I would suggest that these tweaks won't have a major impact on gaming performance. It should run all current games extremely well anyway!

#3 User is offline   media-sorcerer 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

hey thanks for your gracious response!!!
i did some research and came up with a free program called game booster,its free from io bit software,do a search anyhow,its brilliant,it automatically configures services for you,in gaming mode,its a gem,performance has increased for me by using it,frees up ram,and defrags games too,try it with windows n games,its a great thing to have if you game on mac-bcamp etc,cheers m-s

#4 User is offline   Ben_ 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

No worries.

Game booster sounds good. I might look into it. I've just finished getting rid of a whole bunch of services relating to MS Office 2007 that I didn't use, like Groove folder sync and MS Onenote.

Plus I've got rid of the Western Digital software that comes with my external drive. It just chews up resources.

Cleaning up the various bits of junk installed alongside software is a constant battle!

#5 User is offline   media-sorcerer 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

yeh ,i hear you,keep it lean and mean is what ive learnt,i guess you go thru that tho ,trying this and that over the years,you are right,the i5 does a great job on gaming,but for the more recent and hi-tech-hi def,video card hungry games like crysis,etc,you cant run them on full steam so to speak,you have to tweak it down a bit,with game booster tho,it enables you to run the video settings at higher values,and seems to keep it from crashing as much,its a real gem for windows and gaming,cos it does it for you,i cant believe its free too,it works so well!!!at an estimate,i rekon you would get a third more juice outta your system wit it running,

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users