Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Google Chrome introduces Drag-and-Drop to G-mail - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Google Chrome introduces Drag-and-Drop to G-mail

#1 User is offline   mars_fenix 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My intrests are as follows:xd: :<br />HTML<br />Actionscript (flash)<br />Digital Imagery (Photoshop, Illustrator and Fireworks)<br />Film/movie editing (after effects and premier pro)<br />Basic C++<br />Animation

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

HTML 5 seems to be rapidly evolving as the future of web computing. And the world’s most popular web-based company is pushing the technology like never before. Google recently included a drag-and-drop feature in the company’s email application a.k.a GMail. In case you are using Firefox 3.6 or Chrome 4, you can now simply drag any document and paste it to your email/message window, just like you would in most desktop applications. The moment you ‘drop’ the file, GMail will automatically attach the document with the composed email.

Thanks to the new APIs that are part of HTML 5. Although the drag-and-drop feature was initially introduced in Google Wave, the company went a step higher by introducing this to GMail, which has well over 140 million users. The browser support for drag-and-drop is currently the biggest hurdle. Currently this feature is only supported by Firefox 3.6 and Chrome 4. Although Safari supports the drag-and-drop API, the feature doesn’t quite work when you use it with GMail. In case of IE 8 it is not supported at all, although you can use Google Chrome Frame as a workaround.

What do you think?

"<pauline hanson> Please Explain</pauline hanson>"
-clinton1550 (what a legend!!)

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

To be honest the last time I think i used Gmail was around 2007, so I am guessing its no biggie for me, but just out of curiosity, how many people here use Gmail on a regular basis ?

Other than having Apple Mail, or Mail on the Iphone to check it for you...

TL

Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   mars_fenix 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:My intrests are as follows:xd: :<br />HTML<br />Actionscript (flash)<br />Digital Imagery (Photoshop, Illustrator and Fireworks)<br />Film/movie editing (after effects and premier pro)<br />Basic C++<br />Animation

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

well i only use gmail... thunderbird in a pain... i just find it easier to use...

"<pauline hanson> Please Explain</pauline hanson>"
-clinton1550 (what a legend!!)

#4 User is offline   Anthony Caruana 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Christianity, Macs, Mobility, Computing, Sport, Music, Movies

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (TLCAUS @ May 8 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest the last time I think i used Gmail was around 2007, so I am guessing its no biggie for me, but just out of curiosity, how many people here use Gmail on a regular basis ?

Other than having Apple Mail, or Mail on the Iphone to check it for you...

TL

I am now 100% gmail. All my other email accounts are either set to forward everything to one gmail account or, where I can't set that up, I have gmail retrieve the email from accounts over POP.

It works on browsers, using the iPhone set up instructions (as gmail offers Exchange connectivity), on the iPad - pretty much everywhere and on any device I use.

I've migrated 5 years of messages to it and have used about half of the available space.
Anthony Caruana
Macworld Contributor
Personal Blog: www.pocketmojo.net
Twitter @anthony_caruana

#5 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Anthony Caruana @ May 9 2010, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am now 100% gmail. All my other email accounts are either set to forward everything to one gmail account or, where I can't set that up, I have gmail retrieve the email from accounts over POP.

I've done a similar thing but with Mail via MobileMe. I migrated years and years of email to the IMAP account and all my POP addresses forward to the .mac address. Works beautifully.

#6 User is offline   Anthony Caruana 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Christianity, Macs, Mobility, Computing, Sport, Music, Movies

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

Except that you can't assign a domain name of your own to Mobile Me email. Also, isn't there a limit to how many POP accounts Mobile will retrieve email from?
Anthony Caruana
Macworld Contributor
Personal Blog: www.pocketmojo.net
Twitter @anthony_caruana

#7 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

I have my domain name email being forwarded to me, is that what you meant? Not sure, but I have three POP email accounts coming through plus my .mac email.

#8 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

I also have a Gmail IMAP account (no MobileMe) which retrieves mail from 3 POP accounts. Very convenient being able to use my iMac, my wife's MacBook or my iPod to access the synced account. Also possible to get onto any computer, anywhere, and log onto Gmail's WebMail for access.

This setup has worked flawlessly for a long time now. A couple of years ago there were regular issues with Gmail deciding not to recognise the (correct) password embedded in Mail Preferences. It was necessary to go through setting up a new Gmail IMAP password. I had to do this about three times over 6 months, but since then no problems.
Gazza

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does!

Gary Mc - aka FarmerGaz on twitter.com/FarmerGaz

#9 User is offline   avinmichal 

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:43 AM

Google as well appear a few baby updates to search, which has been growing rapidly, decidedly during cafeteria hour, evenings and weekends, if humans are abroad from their computers, as we accept accounting about.The updates cover the adeptness to do bounded searches, like for restaurants, from the homepage of the adaptable seek box and to see the locations change on the map as users annal through results.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users