Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: External Harddrive question - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

External Harddrive question I'm looking at a WD 1tb and wondering about the formatting

#21 User is offline   Mychael 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Flying, sailing, Classic cars. Playing with computers (Mac/PC). iphone fan & now ipad owner.

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

View PostBen_, on 09 August 2010 - 10:28 PM, said:

As mentioned, FAT32 has some limitations, like the maximum 4 GB file size limit as well as the fact that FAT32 doesn't support file permissions. NTFS is also a more reliable file system, FAT32 is considered to be more prone to disk errors.

Why don't Macs natively support NTFS? Surely it would be better then a 3rd party program patch.

#22 User is offline   Sambo11 

• Power user
  • Pip
  • Interests:Everything Apple

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

I bought a WD External HD 500 GB ( which is the lower one that your going to buy) and i just read the instructions on how to format it for mac and i'm all good and ive had no problems!! Simple ! plus how did u find the 1 T for 95 bucks i got my 500 gb for 95$ :(

#23 User is offline   Ben_ 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

View PostMychael, on 19 September 2010 - 11:10 AM, said:

Why don't Macs natively support NTFS? Surely it would be better then a 3rd party program patch.

I'm not sure. I thought it might have something to do with it being a proprietary Microsoft format. Maybe Apple would have to pay a licence fee to Microsoft to support it.

Then again, Snow Leopard does actually have write support for NTFS drives, it's just not enabled by default because it's too buggy to be safe to use. Maybe Apple has just never bothered to invest the time to develop a stable driver because it's not a high priority for them.

#24 User is offline   CTeditor 

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

View PostSambo11, on 19 September 2010 - 11:19 AM, said:

I bought a WD External HD 500 GB ( which is the lower one that your going to buy) and i just read the instructions on how to format it for mac and i'm all good and ive had no problems!! Simple ! plus how did u find the 1 T for 95 bucks i got my 500 gb for 95$ :(

I got it from Officeworks, I haven't seen anyone else that cheap for a while though

#25 User is offline   Ben_ 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

I have seen the same drive at Officeworks for the same price recently. I have seen it advertised elsewhere for $95 too. It would have to be the cheapest external drive around at the moment as far as cost per GB goes.

#26 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

I bought a 2 terabyte time capsule last week and I love it, I am using it to back up 4 macs, plus extend my wireless network, to do the same with a bunch of hard drives and airport expresses would probably cost twice as much.

Tl
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users