• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple event at NAB this week?

#1 User is offline   Molecule 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

Apple will be doing a show at NAB this week. And I'm not talking about a bank...

Where Content Comes to Life

For more than 80 years, there’s been only one global event for people passionate about content.

A place that fosters the convergence of industries the world turns to for information and entertainment.

An essential destination that is synonymous with next-generation technology, education and insight.

A gathering so powerful that it earns the respect of more than 80,000 digital media professionals every year.

From broadcasting to broader-casting®, the NAB Show™ has evolved over the last eight decades to continually lead this ever-changing industry. And while the solutions at your fingertips have changed to keep pace with consumer habits and technologies, your aspirations to produce and deliver memorable content have remained constant. From conception through distribution, the NAB Show proudly serves as the incubator for excellence – helping to breathe life into content everywhere.

NAB Show Fast Facts

More than 85,000 audio, video and film content professionals
157 countries represented
$30 billion in purchasing power
500+ conference and training sessions
1,500+ exhibiting companies and 800,000+ net square feet of exhibit space
1,300+ members of the press
82 years of industry leadership

Apple's apparently going to be there. Or not. I don't know. 9to5Mac can't make its mind up.
To be honest, it's all kinda making my head hurt sad.gif
Clcking the above link should give you all the conflicting info you need to work it out for yourself.

On the one hand, you've got this
being taken down from somewhere official, and this odd piece from 9to5Mac:
Update: EventBrite took their site down, likely indicating that Apple will not release any new products at the event.

Update2: Their VP of Operations got back to us and tried to distance themselves from the "Please join Apple for an update on their latest hardware and software products." statement. They'd like this post to be removed..

I thought Update 1 might be sarcasm, meaning there will definitely be new Appleness at NAB. Though now that Update 2 has come along, I'm not so sure. Though requesting the entire post be removed would indicate to me that the information is sensitive enough for Jobs to have someone else by the balls...otherwise they'd just request an update saying it's not true and that'd be that...

And we can't ignore this phonecall. I might call the hotel in Vegas later on and double-check myself, but until that time I suggest you give it a listen. I might also email Steve Jobs and see what (if anything) he has to say about all this.

Sorry for all the confusion
Molecule
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Pratchett

#2 User is offline   Molecule 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

Right, now that we've got the confusing bits out of the way...let's assume for a moment that this is for real.

What can we expect?
* A new, completely redesigned Mac Pro
* Apple Cinema Displays
* Final Cut Studio
* Maybe something completely new...maybe not

It's not inconceivable that Apple would also update its portable lineup at the event, especially since Apple has been rumored to be refreshing them this week...on the other hand, of all of them, only the MacBook Pro would be of real interest to the NAB crowd, so it could happen separately. Whether or not Apple will post a keynote, I'm not sure...I certainly hope so, though I have my doubts (with them having done on so recently and all).

We'll have to wait and see
Molecule
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Pratchett

#3 User is offline   Xavier Verhoeven 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

I'm not sure what to make of this either (which is why I haven't posted anything about it). My rumour source is pretty sure we'll be seeing new MacBook Pros this week - we assumed tonight, as that's usually the case, but it could be at this NAB event.

Also according to the source, there won't be new Mac Pros or Cinema Displays this week. But I don't know what Final Cut has in store.

#4 User is offline   Molecule 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:18 AM

I called up the Renaissaince Hotel, Las Vegas today and asked. Apparently there is no event scheduled. Sadly, I don't have a recording for you. The recording of the other guy's phone call clearly shows someone (presumed to be an employee of the Renaissance) stating that there is an event.
But since I'd be more inclined to trust the call I personally made, but that's just me smile.gif. At first she didn't seem to understand a word I was saying (mustn't of met an Australian before...), but eventually I got the information I required.

No event this week.
Oh well, bring on the WWDC!

Molecule

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users