• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Podcast Series 2, Episode 2 Now available online

#1 User is offline   David Braue 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

You've probably already discovered this through your intense, focused reading of every story on the Web site biggrin.gif but, just in case you were kidnapped to a deserted island where you were tied up, then surreptitiously escaped your bonds, overpowered your assailants with a nearby stapler, fashioned a raft out of palm trees with a pocket knife you stole, and rowed back to the mainland with nothing but a packet of uncooked spaghetti -- just in case this all happened before you were able to click on the 'Podcasts' tab, and therefore you didn't stumble upon it yourself:

Episode 2 of the new podcasts series is now available for your listening pleasure from the Podcasts section or just click here.

It's not on iTunes yet but should be soon.

We all look forward to your feedback. Especially me. For reasons you'll understand once you've listened to it.

Your friendly, nice, wonderful, and did I mention oh so very nice online editor
David

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

OMG how did you know all that happened. PS thanks for letting me know its available, O and for the record i was trapped on the island with jen hawkins and it was HER, that went to all that trouble to get away from ME tongue.gif

Listening NOW

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

I downloaded yesterday and listened to it immediately, and the replayed it again last night.

I wish to apologise to my fellow forum members because contrary to some opinions, it was I who kept whinging on and on about bringing podcasts back. Episode 2 is embarrassingly bad. Please, no more.

#4 User is offline   lumeswell 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Stereoscopic video production

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (gramsey @ May 19 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Episode 2 is embarrassingly bad. Please, no more.

I wouldn't go that far, there were parts which I did enjoy - the FCP interview with Sheldon, the intro by Chris outlining upcoming articles etc (I realise this info is probably available elsewhere, but I don't always go looking for it, so its nice to get as a grab at the start of the podcast), and I don't mind Beer'o'clock.

For feedback, in some cases I felt the background music was lifted to soon, so it was hard to hear the end of what someone was saying as it got lost in the music.

Max and Iadora - I said after the first one I was willing to see where they were going, but I don't think I will be going there with them in future. It just feels to scripted and stilted. I like the freewheeling conversations style more. If something is going to be scripted, particularly as a conversation, it needs to be really well scripted and performed, and for me this is not.

Oh, and singing the news doesn't work for me either, I just found myself tuning out waiting for someone to start talking again, sorry.

#5 User is offline   Anthony Caruana 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Christianity, Macs, Mobility, Computing, Sport, Music, Movies

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (gramsey @ May 19 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Episode 2 is embarrassingly bad. Please, no more.

OK, so I could reasonably be accused of being a little biased and perhaps emotionally invested in the podcast but I reckon that's a bit harsh.

To be sure, this is a very different style of podcast to that we did with MJCP but the production quality is generally higher, there's a greater breadth of subject matter covered (perhaps not to the depth we did in the past as it's more structured now) and because of the way it's produced it's more likely to have contributors regularly being involved.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Max and Iadora bit and I'm still not sure about Braue's singing (but that might be because I'm sober!). But I reckon the rest of it is pretty good.

Gramsey - are you saying the whole thing is really bad or is it one bit in particular that bothers you?
Anthony Caruana
Macworld Contributor
Personal Blog: www.pocketmojo.net
Twitter @anthony_caruana

#6 User is offline   David Braue 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (Anthony Caruana @ May 19 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Max and Iadora bit and I'm still not sure about Braue's singing (but that might be because I'm sober!). But I reckon the rest of it is pretty good.

Sober? Were we supposed to record these bits sober? ohmy.gif

#7 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

Well what can i say except i laughed my butt off at David singing the Intel news to the tune of Michele from the beatles, very amusing indeed.

Oops i left out a reference to the doors ? or was that Jose Feliciano

My only complaint was the annoying voices over keith at the start, drop that Please.. apart from that i think it was fresh, fun, informative, and a heap better than the last one.

Keep up the good work guys.

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#8 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (David Braue @ May 18 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not on iTunes yet but should be soon.

It's still not there and, given the comments in earlier posts, I'm not entirely sure that's a bad thing!
Mick

#9 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Aww come on Mick take a listen before before you pass judgment !

I personally think it's moving in the right direction, like anything it needs a bit more polish, but I still recall the early days when matthew was doing them he also come under the same sort of comments before it smoothed out to something enjoyable.

Tl
Come on 20K

Ken

#10 User is offline   David Holloway 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

I agree with TLC that these things take a while to bed down and also agree that production values are higher which is great.

On the voices at the beginning - that's part of the podcast theme. Keith do you reckon it's worth running the theme then Chris' intro? Either that or I can create a version without the voices...
Web: <a href="http://www.daveholloway.com" target="_blank">http://www.daveholloway.com</a>
Twitter: <a href="http://www.twitter.com/metaverseoz" target="_blank">http://www.twitter.com/metaverseoz</a>

#11 User is offline   Keith White 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:not computers - only a means to an end

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (David Holloway @ May 19 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with TLC that these things take a while to bed down and also agree that production values are higher which is great.

On the voices at the beginning - that's part of the podcast theme. Keith do you reckon it's worth running the theme then Chris' intro? Either that or I can create a version without the voices...

will talk about this off forum David :-)
sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt

#12 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Things Mac related

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Keith White @ May 19 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
will talk about this off forum David :-)

Now that's a thread killer!
laugh.gif

I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners." - Unknown

Pete

#13 User is offline   golfer 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Gynocology

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Anthony Caruana @ May 19 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, so I could reasonably be accused of being a little biased and perhaps emotionally invested in the podcast but I reckon that's a bit harsh.

To be sure, this is a very different style of podcast to that we did with MJCP but the production quality is generally higher, there's a greater breadth of subject matter covered (perhaps not to the depth we did in the past as it's more structured now) and because of the way it's produced it's more likely to have contributors regularly being involved.

Gramsey - are you saying the whole thing is really bad or is it one bit in particular that bothers you?

At the outset, please accept that I want to be constructive rather than pretend everything is rosy, because I really do want this podcast to work.

The overall podcast comes across to me that everyone is trying too damn hard! I have the highest respect for you Anthony, and I am a regular follower of your blogs (BTW, you missed last week so this week needs to be good smile.gif ) and also Adam's, and I feel that your segment has been lightweight as opposed to what you two guys could offer, given your collective expertise. Your segment in Episode 2 was better than 1 but I want more! The Final Cut interview was excellent but why the hell split it over two weeks? By the time the next podcast comes out we'll need to re-listen to this segment to grasp the full context. This interview was good enough to have formed the majority of the podcast on it's own, and to cut it in half to allow David to sing (sorry David, as a singer you make a great writer) and a couple of computer generated voices attempt humour was in my opinion, wrong.

Given that the podcast is only going to come out every two weeks and is only around thirty minutes duration, I don't think you can attempt a greater breadth of subjects. You certainly can't cover news that's two weeks old and been on every RSS feed for so long it's been archived. The background music intro with voice overs gives an initial impression of a low quality production, but I accept that you tell me the overall production quality is higher.

I guess I would prefer more depth in the podcast rather than jumping all over. I accept Keith is trying to cover all bases each Episode but personally I'd prefer the depth even if it meant some episodes weren't of interest to me. I enjoyed Chris' intro with what is in the next Magazine, and this could be a regular "mid month" advice followed the following fortnight with some additional background to each article, given that the printed edition would be in our hands by then. Following that each fortnight could be snippets of breaking stories, but only if they're less than a few days old, and then have a major interview or discussion on a specific topic. End.

Everyone's got an opinion, and the above is mine. I hope you will accept it in the spirit it is given, because as I said earlier, I really do want this podcast to succeed. For me it is currently not working and I'd prefer to be objective and give you honest feedback than pretend I'm loving it.

#14 User is offline   Administrator 

• Administrator
  • Pip
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

And we appreciate your honesty. Thanks.

#15 User is offline   Anthony Caruana 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Christianity, Macs, Mobility, Computing, Sport, Music, Movies

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (gramsey @ May 19 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the outset, please accept that I want to be constructive rather than pretend everything is rosy, because I really do want this podcast to work.

The overall podcast ...

<snip>

Thanks Gramsey

All of this is good stuff. Always glad to learn and to accept constructive criticism.
Anthony Caruana
Macworld Contributor
Personal Blog: www.pocketmojo.net
Twitter @anthony_caruana

#16 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

Having now listened to episode two I agree with earlier posters on two points: no more singing and no more Max and Iadora!

Other than the above, the podcast was good.
Mick

#17 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

I like the format overall, it's different and I like the variety. If I want to listen to a regular kind of podcast there are plenty of places I can go.

I have to confess I skipped over a couple of bits. I don't have filemaker, so that was irrelevant. Afraid I only listened to one of David's songs - sorry about that but doesn't really do it for me (but I was listening through particularly bad iPod tuner signal on the car radio). But that I can skip over the content quite confidently is a good thing - it's tight and I'm not worried that I missed anything because don't have filemaker!

Beer o'clock is great. Agree it could maybe go deeper, but it works for me. And I officially don't want to go to Cebit.

Look forward to seeing where Barry Smith's segment goes, being a photographer.

Max and Isadora. Hmmm, I wonder if the target audience could do with a bit more depth? Jury's still out on that one.

It's a work in progress still, obviously, but I like where it's going. I wonder what listeners who are not on the forum think?
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users