Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Prediction: Snow Leopard release date is June 8 - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prediction: Snow Leopard release date is June 8 don't we all love a good rumor

#21 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Web development, Macs and cycling

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (pmoeser @ Apr 8 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My only problem was a lack of support from Adobe CS2 for Leopard.

Not the least bit surprising. I vaguely recall a similar situation when Windows XP came out. Adobe products are very tied to the OS and hardware platform. It's one of the few products where the cost reflects the investment and complexity of the product. We are after all talking about the leading design package that every designer that can afford it has.

QUOTE (thomasina @ Apr 8 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually received the upgrade with a new (Tiger) machine that I purchased just after the announcement but before shops were selling Leopard loaded. This deliberate ploy meant that I got a Tiger machine. I was very, very pleased when I made the leap to Leopard, but I was also glad that I waited.

I bought the Leopard upgrade the second it became available, but waited to buy a machine that (should have) had Leopard pre-loaded. I was somewhat mislead by the Apple reseller, because the machine in fact had Tiger, and I had to load Leopard. No great loss.

---=== The future looks cloudy ===---

#22 User is offline   Bungs 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

I'll probably buy Snow Leopard pretty soon after it becomes available, but it will probably have to fit around budget constraints. Then there are questions like SL vs an Airport Extreme Base Station etc...

#23 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Bungs @ Apr 15 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll probably buy Snow Leopard pretty soon after it becomes available, but it will probably have to fit around budget constraints. Then there are questions like SL vs an Airport Extreme Base Station etc...

So many worthy gadgets, only so many dollars to go around. Of late the tax breaks have been helping. Prior to that my credit card wasn't looking healthy at all.

#24 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

Yep i am also a sucker, when leopard came out.. i waited in the Que. to get my hands on it tongue.gif so i guess i will do that same again this time

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#25 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (TLCAUS @ Apr 16 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when leopard came out.. i waited in the Que. to get my hands on it tongue.gif so i guess i will do that same again this time

I was on the mailing list of the reseller I bought my Mac mini off, and was offered to pre-order it which I did. I also got an invite to their launch, which I didn't really get to in time, and didn't stick around for. None the less, no queue, and a reserved copy.

SL will be interesting if they do the same thing. The brother of my Lead Developer at work is employed by the reseller where the launch was held, and I there's bound to be at least one or two Mac owners in Canberra that know of me. I keep meaning to get to one of those Mac user groups, but the sneak up and whizz past before I realise I've missed another one! smile.gif

I guess if I put it in my iCal or something, that would work.

#26 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Apple-insider are reporting that apple has posted another up date to snow leopard today, the current version number is 10A335, this comes just 3 weeks after the last beta release, and i personally think that it will ensure my original prediction of June 08 is still on track

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#27 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• AMW Legend (R.I.P)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

AppleInsider are also predicting that it will be announced in June but released in August.

I think an August release is a more likely than a June release.
Mick

#28 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Things Mac related

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (mickdevlin @ Apr 24 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AppleInsider are also predicting that it will be announced in June but released in August.

I think an August release is a more likely than a June release.

I also saw a tid bit that Windows 7 was now slated for a 2010 release. Weren't they coming out next northern autumn?

Maybe they've pushed back to not be over-shadowed by the Snow Leopard?
I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners." - Unknown

Pete

#29 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

I think Microsoft will actually hold back and see what apples does, just to make sure they don't look second rate again with there new operating systems.

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#30 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• AMW Legend (R.I.P)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (pmoeser @ Apr 25 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also saw a tid bit that Windows 7 was now slated for a 2010 release. Weren't they coming out next northern autumn?

I think Windows 7 will be released before the middle of this year. Microsoft will hope that the release will reverse the fall in their profits. I think they may be optimistic as most of the revenue to generate such a reverse would need to come from business, not Windows enthusiasts. Businesses will delay any upgrades until the economy recovers.

Executive summary: Microsoft may have further falls in their profit over the next few quarters.
Mick

#31 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• AMW Legend (R.I.P)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

Returning to the topic of Snow Leopard, the servers version will apparently allow secure access to the iPhone at a cost (much) lower than cost than a Windows server product.

This will certainly cause Microsoft and PC hardware vendors some pain in the corporate sector.
Mick

#32 Guest_coaten_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (mickdevlin @ Apr 25 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Windows 7 will be released before the middle of this year. Microsoft will hope that the release will reverse the fall in their profits. I think they may be optimistic as most of the revenue to generate such a reverse would need to come from business, not Windows enthusiasts. Businesses will delay any upgrades until the economy recovers.

Executive summary: Microsoft may have further falls in their profit over the next few quarters.

Pretty much the way I see it. Windows 7 will be warmly received but it won't set the world on fire.

#33 User is offline   Bungs 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (coaten @ May 9 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty much the way I see it. Windows 7 will be warmly received but it won't set the world on fire.

Anyone still believe in a 8 June release?

#34 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

I am going for mid to late July, thats my guess.

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#35 User is offline   Bungs 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (TLCAUS @ Jun 5 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going for mid to late July, thats my guess.

TL

Could Steve jobs then use the Snow Leopard release as his big comeback event, as some rumours are saying might be needed/wanted for his return

might be good for him to move away from being too iPhone focused, and put some Jobs related headlines back to the full OS...

#36 User is offline   media sorcerer 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

I waited for Leopard and wasn't sorry. I actually received the upgrade with a new (Tiger) machine that I purchased just after the announcement but before shops were selling Leopard loaded. This deliberate ploy meant that I got a Tiger machine, which I wanted, but also got the Leopard upgrade disk for next to nothing. I then waited some months before installing it. That was for all sorts of reasons: waiting for cosmetic irritants to be sorted out, various small tweaks and, most important, for my software needs to fall into line with the new OS. I was very, very pleased when I made the leap to Leopard, but I was also glad that I waited.

i was reading somewhere about sl recently and apparently its going to make applications run a lot faster,use less space on your harddrive[i think it was 2gig less]have a lot of really good new features,and will cost for people already using leopard to upgrade i think it was 49$ american,mite have been less cant remember but not a lot,it will be unreal i rekon,and probably fairly glitch free at a guess,regs david.
mbpro 15,2.66uni ,iphone8g,airport express

#37 User is offline   media sorcerer 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:26 PM

I waited for Leopard and wasn't sorry. I actually received the upgrade with a new (Tiger) machine that I purchased just after the announcement but before shops were selling Leopard loaded. This deliberate ploy meant that I got a Tiger machine, which I wanted, but also got the Leopard upgrade disk for next to nothing. I then waited some months before installing it. That was for all sorts of reasons: waiting for cosmetic irritants to be sorted out, various small tweaks and, most important, for my software needs to fall into line with the new OS. I was very, very pleased when I made the leap to Leopard, but I was also glad that I waited.

apparently snow leopard beta is doing the rounds on the p2p websites,one that was issued to designers or something like that,i heard if you already have leopard it will cost 30$ for upgrade,if you purchased new this year,cant remember the date you had to have purchased,sounds like it will improve the way the os makes use of available power of cpu,s so will make your machine more powerful or utilise more power,something to that effect,

#38 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

Snow leopard, continues to get the Odd tweak or two, appleinsider are showing a few more minor updates in the latest build. For anybody interested other than Mick tongue.gif who i am sure has seen then 3 hours before me

Point your browser over here

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#39 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

Apple suggest the release date will be September, which is lucky for me, because my copy will arrive and I'll be OS till late November by which time the updates will have fixed the new release bugs!

Cheers,

P
biggrin.gif

#40 User is offline   media sorcerer 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

good idea,its always kinda exciting when we get new toys yes? sl is more of an update to Leopard ,not a whole new system ,it should add some good new features tho,

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users