Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Macworld '09 keynote feedback - Macworld Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Macworld '09 keynote feedback Good? Bad? Boring? Earth-shattering?

#61 Guest_coaten_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (MJCP @ Jan 10 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My guess is this keynote could have been done by Tim Cook, Bertrand Serlet or Phil Schiller, and Phil drew the short straw.

Agreed.

BTW, MJCP... this year, no breakout interviews, no product briefings. I was dying to ask Schiller if the short straw scenario you suggest is how it actually played out. It'd be fascinating to know how that decision was truly made.

SJ: "Guys, I won't be there this year, who wants to volunteer to take my place?"

Guys: "...."

SJ: "OooooooK. Paper, rock, scissors?"

tongue.gif

#62 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

Gee you guys are more cynical than me, rock paper scissors.

Tl
Come on 20K

Ken

#63 User is offline   Cambo 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:photography, music, reading, art and 'stuff'

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

Hello everyone and happy new year. I was disappointed with the keynote, only because nothing I was hoping for came from it. I am hanging out to buy a new mac and the 17" Macbook Pro is just too much out of my price range, even though I have been saving. An update on the iMac line or a 'new' mac mini would have made my day, but now I am sitting wondering what to do. I am not going to buy an iMac only to find 2 months (or so) later a new line come out...(as happened when I got my Powerbook, except that was more like 3 weeks after I bought it!)
iLife 09 is all very well and good but the main app I would use it it (imovie) will not run on my Old G4 Powerbook, so I am sitting here with money I would like to give to Apple, but they just haven't offered the right goods for me at the moment..
All in all I was really underwhelmed by the whole event...(yes I'm a whinger)
dry.gif

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
(Frank Zappa)

#64 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

I haven't seen many Keynotes. My observation is that SJ can be a little forced trying to talk up the products sometimes, so I'm not at all worried about an understated address. My 11 year old son sat right through it with me and was more engrossed in what the new products do than worrying about whether Phil S is a dynamic presenter or not. I think this is precisely why Apple is pulling out, they simply can't bear the unwarranted weight of expectation, especially when it's someone else's event (harking back to Podcast 47).
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#65 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Things Mac related

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Cambo @ Jan 11 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello everyone and happy new year. I was disappointed with the keynote, only because nothing I was hoping for came from it. I am hanging out to buy a new mac and the 17" Macbook Pro is just too much out of my price range, even though I have been saving. An update on the iMac line or a 'new' mac mini would have made my day, but now I am sitting wondering what to do. I am not going to buy an iMac only to find 2 months (or so) later a new line come out...(as happened when I got my Powerbook, except that was more like 3 weeks after I bought it!)
iLife 09 is all very well and good but the main app I would use it it (imovie) will not run on my Old G4 Powerbook, so I am sitting here with money I would like to give to Apple, but they just haven't offered the right goods for me at the moment..
All in all I was really underwhelmed by the whole event...(yes I'm a whinger)
dry.gif

Welcome to the world of wanting to upgrade your Mac!
You do get to a point where you just have to jump and then stop reading the news feeds on -line!
I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners." - Unknown

Pete

#66 User is offline   Cambo 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:photography, music, reading, art and 'stuff'

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (pmoeser @ Jan 12 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the world of wanting to upgrade your Mac!
You do get to a point where you just have to jump and then stop reading the news feeds on -line!

Oh, I know exactly the point when I'll jump...
Right after they announce a new iMac or macmini (perhaps, but I'm really waiting on the iMac)
I have learnt to wait now.
rolleyes.gif

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
(Frank Zappa)

#67 User is offline   dancepuppy56 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (Cambo @ Jan 12 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, I know exactly the point when I'll jump...
Right after they announce a new iMac or macmini (perhaps, but I'm really waiting on the iMac)
I have learnt to wait now.
rolleyes.gif

I noticed a comment on David Braue's Blog 29th Dec, that sent a twigger of thought that the absence of iMac & Mac Mini updates at MacWorldSF, where they put back because of Snow Leopard and OpenCL, was Snow Leopard ready in time for the show?, problems?, no doubt the show was stretched to fit the 90 minutes, and were the big updates scratched only in the last weeks before the show...or is it as David notes, is the release(s) still timelined in at the end of Q1.

#68 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (dancepuppy56 @ Jan 15 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...or is it as David notes, is the release(s) still timelined in at the end of Q1.

It won't be released before WWDC. I'd rather they take the time to ensure that it's bug-free.
Mick

#69 User is offline   t0MMb 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

Ok, I guess it wasn't so bad. In fact, it was probably pretty good. I must say new iLife is particularly impressive but I probably will hold onto MS Office for at least another year before I go to iWork.

But, I'm surprised anyone is even buying that obsolete grey box Mac Mini! It's cute and all, but it does need to be upgraded some time soon. wink.gif

Good 'ol Phil. He handled the Keynote pretty well I thought!

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users