• You cannot reply to this topic

Uploading files

#21 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (pmoeser @ May 27 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gazza, I just copy and paste the HTML tags and put them where I want them in the text.

I do this too when you are splitting up a quote from one post, but if you want to quote from two or more posts you also need the sequential post number which is not available until you actually start to reply e.g. your post is number 7374 (viz quote name='pmoeser' date='May 27 2008, 05:42 PM' post='7374'). It takes a lot of mucking about to get this number once you start your reply. I reckon the multi-post aspect will do this for you, BUT how??? Or I am I off the track and the system inserts this number when you copy the second quote into your reply??

gazza

Gazza

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does!

Gary Mc - aka FarmerGaz on twitter.com/FarmerGaz

#22 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• AMW Legend (R.I.P)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (gazza @ May 27 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do this too when you are splitting up a quote from one post, but if you want to quote from two or more posts you also need the sequential post number which is not available until you actually start to reply e.g. your post is number 7374 (viz quote name='pmoeser' date='May 27 2008, 05:42 PM' post='7374'). It takes a lot of mucking about to get this number once you start your reply. I reckon the multi-post aspect will do this for you, BUT how??? Or I am I off the track and the system inserts this number when you copy the second quote into your reply??

Don't bother with the post number unless it's from a different (earlier) post. In addition, I sometimes copy text from an AMW article or blog that, say, MJCP has posted. I replace the original text with that of the copied text. The system doesn't seem to care about the post number when carrying out an edit (e.g. adding two or more quotes to a post).

Did you realise that you can copy text from the "Last NN Posts [ in reverse order ]" section below the edit window?
Mick

#23 User is offline   friday 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (TLCAUS @ May 27 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well i still maintain we need a small section for new and older users on how to get the best out of the tools available on the forums, including how to change avatars, upload pictures, how to use smileys etc etc etc.

Anybody else out there back me up or even better now how to use all the bells and whistles and like to post a tutorial on how to do it ?

TL

Amen! Please include a hint re Preview's new capability in making jpg files very small and still good quality for upload.
Also, there are a few things here what many people haven't seen elsewhere, e.g. "friends".
What's this, how does it work?

Friday

#24 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (mickdevlin @ May 27 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't bother with the post number unless it's from a different (earlier) post. In addition, I sometimes copy text from an AMW article or blog that, say, MJCP has posted. I replace the original text with that of the copied text. The system doesn't seem to care about the post number when carrying out an edit (e.g. adding two or more quotes to a post).

Did you realise that you can copy text from the "Last NN Posts [ in reverse order ]" section below the edit window?

OK I get all of this and I've had a practice with on old, old post and got two different quotes in the one post (very fiddly to do). Now WHAT IS THE POINT/PURPOSE OF THE +QUOTE/-QUOTE BUTTON? It should be able to be used to take out all the fiddly stuff with the HTML tags so you can do a "multi-quote" in one post, but I'm blowed if I can get it to work?

QUOTE (friday @ May 27 2008, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, there are a few things here what many people haven't seen elsewhere, e.g. "friends".
What's this, how does it work?
Friday

When you are logged in go to your control panel (My Controls), go down to Options and click on Manage Friend List. This will then give you a Find Friends window. Click on the "Go to the list of Members", click on the icon of a member and you have the choice to invite them to be your friend.

gazza
Gazza

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does!

#25 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• AMW Legend (R.I.P)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (gazza @ May 27 2008, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK I get all of this and I've had a practice with on old, old post and got two different quotes in the one post (very fiddly to do). Now WHAT IS THE POINT/PURPOSE OF THE +QUOTE/-QUOTE BUTTON? It should be able to be used to take out all the fiddly stuff with the HTML tags so you can do a "multi-quote" in one post, but I'm blowed if I can get it to work?

I agree that the button seems to lack purpose in this forum application (an application that runs on a server to allow people to post comments). In other forum applications the Quote button does have the purpose this one should have: clicking the button creates a new post with the previous post presented as a quote.

You, gazza, and other might want to try the "Wrap in quote tags button" (second from the right).
Mick

#26 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (mickdevlin @ May 27 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that the button seems to lack purpose in this forum application (an application that runs on a server to allow people to post comments). In other forum applications the Quote button does have the purpose this one should have: clicking the button creates a new post with the previous post presented as a quote.

Thanks for your extended help with this one Mick!! I know I've been a pain, but it bugs me when something doesn't work as it should - I needed to know if it was just me, apparently not, so I rest my case.

COULD WE HAVE SOME ADMIN FEEDBACK ON THIS ONE PLEASE?

QUOTE (mickdevlin @ May 27 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You, gazza, and other might want to try the "Wrpa in quote tags button" (second from the right).

Errr... ok I'll give it a try sometime when I work out why I need it!!

gazza
Gazza

#27 User is offline   friday 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (gazza @ May 27 2008, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you are logged in go to your control panel (My Controls), go down to Options and click on Manage Friend List. This will then give you a Find Friends window. Click on the "Go to the list of Members", click on the icon of a member and you have the choice to invite them to be your friend.

gazza

I guess I wanted to know what this "friend" business entail, apart from mutual pledges of non-aggression :-)
Exchange of e-mail addresses or what else?

Friday

#28 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (friday @ May 28 2008, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I wanted to know what this "friend" business entail, apart from mutual pledges of non-aggression :-)
Exchange of e-mail addresses or what else?

Friday

I guess you've hit it in one, friday. It does enable easier "global" Personal Messages. "What else" is up to you(?)

gazza
Gazza

#29 User is offline   friday 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (gazza @ May 28 2008, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It does enable easier "global" Personal Messages.

gazza

Thanks Gazza. I just have to learn what it may mean.
I give you something here. By the time you figure out its meaning, I'll figure out "global". Deal? :-)
Just don't be too quick, I am rather zombie-like nowadays.

Friday

#30 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (friday @ May 28 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Gazza. I just have to learn what it may mean.
I give you something here. By the time you figure out its meaning, I'll figure out "global". Deal? :-)
Just don't be too quick, I am rather zombie-like nowadays.

Friday

Geez Friday, I reckon you got the better deal mate!!! I'm only an old codger. You should have worked out "global" by now so I'll bite, "What the hell does your set of hieroglyphics mean?"

gazza
Gazza

#31 User is offline   friday 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (gazza @ May 28 2008, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Geez Friday, I reckon you got the better deal mate!!! I'm only an old codger. You should have worked out "global" by now so I'll bite, "What the hell does your set of hieroglyphics mean?

gazza

An Englishman can read it. A Chinese or a Russian can read it. Someone from the Caribbean can read it.
Just he/she needs to be a mathematician.

It is Weierstrass' theorem about the existence of the best fit polynomial: for every f function that is continuous (see the 0th degree) on a closed
[a,b] interval, there exists an n degree polynomial so that the norm of the difference of f and the polynomial is minimal.
(Well, it does not only exists, it is also uniquely determined.)

Thanks for the personal message, I think I need to spend some time on exploring this website.
There are quite a few things to learn here.

Friday,
an even older codger

#32 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Web development, Macs and cycling

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (gazza @ May 27 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now WHAT IS THE POINT/PURPOSE OF THE +QUOTE/-QUOTE BUTTON?

Not sure if you've already worked this out gazza, but you "+ Quote" all the posts you want to quote from in a thread. You then use the reply button at the bottom, and all the posts you toggled + Quote on will be quoted.

So + Quote means, Add to quote list. - Quote means remove from quote list.

---=== The future looks cloudy ===---

#33 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (S Davis @ Aug 8 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure if you've already worked this out gazza, but you "+ Quote" all the posts you want to quote from in a thread. You then use the reply button at the bottom, and all the posts you toggled + Quote on will be quoted.

So + Quote means, Add to quote list. - Quote means remove from quote list.

Thankyou Davo, now it has been explained it makes sense, of course, and no I didn't know 'til now!!! At the time of that discussion no-one seemed to know, or couldn't be bothered replying. Those who multi-quote in a post have worked out how to do it by other means, albeit more long-winded than the +/-quote buttons.

gazza
Gazza

#34 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (gazza @ Aug 8 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thankyou Davo, now it has been explained it makes sense, of course, and no I didn't know 'til now!!!

Glad to be of service smile.gif Now I've got a whole ton of other stuff to figure out, but will start a new topic for that once I read the manual a little bit. So far it states the obvious and skips any actual in-depth explanations of the more advanced stuff.

#35 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (S Davis @ Aug 9 2008, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad to be of service smile.gif Now I've got a whole ton of other stuff to figure out, but will start a new topic for that once I read the manual a little bit. So far it states the obvious and skips any actual in-depth explanations of the more advanced stuff.

I look forward to your, no doubt, in depth findings and analysis. While you are at it see if you can sort out the "Search" aspect. Luke Mcildoon, the site tech/guru, said there was to be an upgrade/improvement to this feature but so far I have found it to be very limited and far from user friendly. Multiple/linked word searches, for instance, don't seem to be working as you would hope.

gazza
Gazza

#36 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (gazza @ Aug 9 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I look forward to your, no doubt, in depth findings and analysis.

After a lot of tinkering around in the wee hours, I figured out how you guys got your stars. Though I'm climbing through the rankings like a geek possessed, stars are purely street cred, or just getting some friends to give you stardom smile.gif

QUOTE (gazza @ Aug 9 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While you are at it see if you can sort out the "Search" aspect.

One really major blow is the minimum word size is too small. I know this has been commented elsewhere, so some of the wind isn't in the search bars sails. I don't personally feel it's been implemented that well either.

You should be able to search for +mac +mini which would find all topics talking specifically about the mac mini. You should be able to search for +mac -mini to find all posts about mac but not mini. IE specifically exclude mac mini's from the search.

Because of the word length limit you can't. It's really not hard to make the search test for single word lengths below 4 charaacters. IE test the whole string length is greater than 4.

One way around this is to search for "mac mini" in quotes. If both words are longer than 3 characters, you can use the +word -word.

If you search for word1 word2, you'll get postings containing word1 or word2.

Try some out and see how you go. Just run the same search inside the topic you find to locate postings with the search term. This is where I think the system could work better, by doing that automatically, or highlighting all your search terms in the topic.

#37 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (S Davis @ Aug 9 2008, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After a lot of tinkering around in the wee hours, I figured out how you guys got your stars. Though I'm climbing through the rankings like a geek possessed, stars are purely street cred, or just getting some friends to give you stardom smile.gif

"Some friends" in this case is the one and only TLCAUS!! He has been the bestower of the Astral rewards

QUOTE (S Davis @ Aug 9 2008, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One really major blow is the minimum word size is too small. I know this has been commented elsewhere, so some of the wind isn't in the search bars sails. I don't personally feel it's been implemented that well either.

You should be able to search for +mac +mini which would find all topics talking specifically about the mac mini. You should be able to search for +mac -mini to find all posts about mac but not mini. IE specifically exclude mac mini's from the search.

Because of the word length limit you can't. It's really not hard to make the search test for single word lengths below 4 charaacters. IE test the whole string length is greater than 4.

One way around this is to search for "mac mini" in quotes. If both words are longer than 3 characters, you can use the +word -word.

If you search for word1 word2, you'll get postings containing word1 or word2.

Try some out and see how you go. Just run the same search inside the topic you find to locate postings with the search term. This is where I think the system could work better, by doing that automatically, or highlighting all your search terms in the topic.

Yep, thanks Davo, I had worked out all you've said here, but when I tried the multi-word searches they just didn't work. It was a while ago, and maybe an upgrade has improved the situation (it was promised) so I'll give it a go again.

BTW - I used today the multi-quote method you espoused yesterday, and gee guess what, it works!!

gazza
Gazza

#38 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (gazza @ Aug 9 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Some friends" in this case is the one and only TLCAUS!! He has been the bestower of the Astral rewards

Sounds like I need to make some friends smile.gif

QUOTE (gazza)
when I tried the multi-word searches they just didn't work. It was a while ago, and maybe an upgrade has improved the situation (it was promised) so I'll give it a go again.

I just tried +search +forum and it seemed to work, but without knowing how many places those terms have been used together, I've got no idea how accurate the results were.

If you navigate directly to the search form it's faster to do a specific search across all forums. If you want to really dig deep, try the advanced search instead.

#39 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (S Davis @ Aug 10 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you navigate directly to the search form it's faster to do a specific search across all forums. If you want to really dig deep, try the advanced search instead.

Thanks Davo, I'll give it a go soon. (I've bookmarked both seeing you went to the trouble of making the links, thanks) Sometimes I like to refer back to a post for some info I want, or to link it for another member, and looking through the topic threads can become a nightmare, especially if you can't remember the title of the thread, or how long ago someone replied to it. "As we have nearly 20,000 posts on the Forum now it's a big haystack to find a little needle."

gazza
Gazza

#40 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• AMW Legend (R.I.P)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (S Davis @ Aug 10 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just tried +search +forum and it seemed to work, but without knowing how many places those terms have been used together, I've got no idea how accurate the results were.

I've often tried the prefixing a word with the plus sign and have found, contrary to what is stated in the advanced usage help, it find posts with one or more of the words, not just posts that contain all the words. I used that technique last night for a particular post and, even though I know that the words for which I was searching only appeared in one or two posts, I still got 1000 posts from the search results.

Conclusion: The search function is nearly useless.
Mick

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users