• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rules of Conduct How to behave and how not to behave on these forums

#1 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

On the Australian Macworld forums all users are deserving of respect, regardless of our level of expertise, technical knowledge or experience with the Mac. We are all essentially like-minded souls, sharing our choice of operating system. In this forum, we can all share our views and opinions on matters related to the Mac, the Mac community, and computing in general.

We are all also mature and sensible people who don't need to be told what to do and what not to do, but an occasional reminder is sometimes useful. So a few simple rules follow.

When participating in these forums:

-> Treat everyone with respect. This should be the only rule necessary, but just so we're clear, here are some more, all of which are basically variants on this one.

-> If you disagree with someone's view, disagree with their view, not with them. debate is healthy, "flaming" isn't.
-> If someone has a problem you can help with, help them. If you can't help them, don't.
-> If someone asks a question you think is "stupid," leave them alone. Someone else will be along to help. We were all newbies once.
-> Under no circumstances use bullying or belittling tactics in a discussion.
-> Even though we're all grown-ups here, keep the language clean. Swearing and abusive language is unnecessary and disrespectful. If you feel you must use abusive language in order to get your point across, your point probably shouldn't be made in these forums.
-> Under no circumstances disparage people on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexuality. Such abuse has no place in these forums.

These rules also apply when using the personal message system.

Any non-compliance with these simple rules will result in offending posts being deleted and the users warned. Continued abuse of the forums will result in offending users being banned.

MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

Fantastic to hear we have some guide lines in here, even though they are common sense, its still good to see them in black and white in front of your own eyes.

I think the only thing missing is that they should apply or at least appear with a check box at log in, when a new member joins.

Because I strongly believe with that rate expansion this forum is having, and the amount of new posts we now get every day, sadly this post will be buried in maybe 2 days or less and many of the people WHO do need to see it WONT..

EDIT: can we add warez and serial number posting / swapping in there?
Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

That's why it's been created as a subforum on Macworld Mag & Website -- it'll always be near the top of any new member's list of forums. I may post a static version elsewhere on the site or even -- as you suggest -- as part of the registration process, but for now I wanted to have some rules up on the site for people to read and comment.

I really don't want to be heavy-handed in how the forum is run. I think the people who come here are going to be responsible and respectful to each other and can be trusted to conduct themselves accordingly without hand-holding from me or anyone else. But if people do transgress it is important that they know they are doing so and that any consequences are then not unexpected.

PS: you really are keen to find out what happens when you get to 500 posts, aren't you?
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#4 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

OMG, i had honestly forgotten about the 500, i was more concerned with having the rules and regs displayed for all new comers to see and understand without you or any body else in admin without having to play Mr Nanny.

PS do i become Supreme Overlord or something exciting like that, Or does it mean i just need to a life. tongue.gif

Come on 20K

Ken

#5 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

You'll just have to find out.
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#6 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:35 AM

MJCP, while you are doing such a good job of setting up all these guides and rules, can I make another request, I would love to see a post on how to use the site more efficiently.

Eg, an explanation on what all of the icons are for at the top over every post , believe it or not i still don't know how to use the quote in a post unsure.gif and i only learned last week how to use the insert link icon.

I sort of wonder how many others still get puzzled by how to get the most out of every post.

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#7 User is offline   meincrannie 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Interests:My Family, Travel and Apple Computers

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (TLCAUS @ Mar 9 2008, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: can we add warez and serial number posting / swapping in there?

And pirate podcasts... oops oh well can't have it all can we? biggrin.gif
Windows Vista RC1 made me buy a iMac, thank you Microsoft.

#8 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

pirate podcasts ??? Is there such a thing... I honestly never new you could pirate a podcast, are you talking about mixing and mashing other people podcasts into a new one.. You have me scratching my head now .

Come on 20K

Ken

#9 User is offline   meincrannie 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

Podcast Episode 10: The Pirate Edition
MJCP talks to Dan Warne and Alex Kidman about things you shouldn't do, such as circumventing restrictions on the iTunes Store, running OS X on non-Apple hardware and getting around region coding. Dan explains why installing Linux is like stealing OS X and Alex hums "Girl From Ipanema". Now you're intrigued, aren't you?
MATTHEW JC. POWELL | FEB 22, 2008

You are so literal dude.

#10 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

Damn, sorry brain is to analytical some times, penalty of being in business for 30 years I guess, I need to get out more and expand my horizon , and not think so laterally some times.
Come on 20K

Ken

#11 User is offline   meincrannie 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:12 AM

Lateral thinking is a good thing don't lose your creativity we appreciate it.

#12 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Retired / buggered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

Well done MJCP, i just spotted the new rules and regulations at sign up, thanks for listening, it makes putting idea up in here worth while.... Now i just need to find a way to get you to upgrade my status after my 3 rd pip appeared tongue.gif

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#13 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

Working on it. There's a few people who've gained a pip in the past couple of weeks but not had their rank updated. It's glitch #233 on a fairly long list (most of which are a bit more pressing). We'll get it fixed though.

For the record, if anyone's interested, TLCAUS should be listed as a "Power Mentor".
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users