• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Want to ask Matthew something?

#41 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:23 PM

it is a good suggestion, and I just might have something to say about it early next year. Don't want to give too much away ...
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#42 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Things Mac related

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (MJCP @ Nov 4 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is a good suggestion, and I just might have something to say about it early next year. Don't want to give too much away ...

As long as you keep the keyboard shortcut titles!

(I'm a man, not a mouse)
I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners." - Unknown

Pete

#43 User is offline   thomasina 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (gazza @ Sep 3 2008, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Fraid I have to agree with gramsey, Matthew. I understand the reasoning behind the names but to me it tends to support the concept of "this mag is for geeks." If AMW is to support and inform the wider Mac community, including newbies, switchers and those undecided, this aspect could be a bit of a "turn-off."

If AMW's aim is to champion the interests and needs of only the experienced Apple faithful (apart from TL??? - see posts below) then the "column naming" is not an issue.

gazza

I'd agree about potential turn-offs, but ironically I'd disagree about the Apple faithful.

I've lived with Macs for years and I'm a die-hard user of keyboard shortcuts. Heck, I probably even qualify as a "geekette". But do you think I can remember the reasoning/significance behind all the shortcut names for the departments?

Even the ones I do "know" I have to stop and think about.

I'd say, keep the iconic looking CMD+[x] symbols for the different departments if you like, but incorporate an "English" title as well in smaller type.

It's worth keeping in mind, even those of us who are seriously into keyboard shortcuts are likely to know these via a physical/muscle memory>result that actually bypasses any conscious thought of the "meaning" of the shortcut letter. For example, when I use CMD+V to paste something I never consciously think "command-Value" – my fingers just do something at a particular point on the keyboard to achieve a desired result. So the connection between a shortcut letter and the intended significance can be a bit tenuous even (especially?) for seasoned users.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users