Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: Alliance Formed To Promote Macs On Corporate Networks - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alliance Formed To Promote Macs On Corporate Networks

#1 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

The following is part of a report in "Information Week" today describing an interesting development which just might lead to more Macs in the workplace!

"Parallels and others will publish best practices for OS X and Windows interoperability, addressing issues such as integrating Macs with Microsoft's Active Directory.
Five software companies on Monday launched an alliance to promote the use of Apple Macs in corporate environments managed with Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) Windows

Members of the Enterprise Desktop Alliance include Atempo, Centrify, Group Logic, LANrev, and Parallels. The companies provide technology that focuses on interoperability between Mac OS X and Windows, and partner in integrating their products to provide broader offerings.
The alliance's work will initially focus on education to fix the misperception that Macs are difficult to use in Windows environments, Peter Frankl, founder and chief operating officer of LANrev, said. The alliance has launched a Web site to help in the education effort and hopes to sponsor seminars on the topic in the future."

gazza
Gazza

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does!

Gary Mc - aka FarmerGaz on twitter.com/FarmerGaz

#2 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:01 PM

This will certainly help Apple's cause, not to mention causing the other Steve (Balmer) some grief.
Mick

#3 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (mickdevlin @ Jul 1 2008, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This will certainly help Apple's cause, not to mention causing the other Steve (Balmer)some grief.

I wonder if this will encourage other companies to come on board? It has the potential to snowball and with the next M/soft OS update still a "long" way off the Apple platform has time to get a good foothold. No wonder you think Steve Ballmer might end up with a big headache!

gazza
Gazza

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does!

#4 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

It will certainly bring other companies to support Apple. When Snow Leopard arrives, it will allow Apple to compete in the enterprise market. The iPhone is the first weapon in it's armoury in the fight: look at the market pentetration it's received already and it has only been on the market for 12 months!

Mick

#5 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:50 PM

With the arrival of the new iPhone, Apple has also released iPhone configuration utilities for business. These utilities allow businesses to create their own apps. There are two web tools: one for Macs and the other for Windows. There is also a third tool for creating apps but that is, not surprisingly, only available on Macs.

This is yet further evidence that Apple is serious about gaining business market share from Windows.
Mick

#6 User is offline   gazza 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (mickdevlin @ Jul 11 2008, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.................This is yet further evidence that Apple is serious about gaining business market share from Windows.

Which they will do "in spades" if Apple can keep up with the stock. That is going to be the challenge for them. Not having been into the corporate world in earnest they haven't got a track record to rely on for managing manufacture targets. However they will work this out in time, I'm sure.
No wonder Microsoft is pumping millions into advertising the virtues of Vista in the near future. Now that's a losing battle!

gazza
Gazza

#7 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (gazza @ Jul 11 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No wonder Microsoft is pumping millions into advertising the virtues of Vista in the near future. Now that's a losing battle!

And they've got so many allies, too (not).
Mick

#8 User is offline   Fleur Doidge 

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

Well, I think realistically it will be a long row for Apple to hoe -- but I truly also think that many if not most corporate sector types will be delighted for a real alternative to appear

#9 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Things Mac related

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:24 AM

The iPhone, MacBook Air have both been Apple's Top Down approach to entering the corporate space. MDs CFOs CIOs like cool things and it has obviously started to work.

The September surprise release will no doubt be targeted at this space as well
I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners." - Unknown

Pete

#10 User is offline   mickdevlin 

• Power guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Fleur Doidge @ Jul 22 2008, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I think realistically it will be a long row for Apple to hoe -- but I truly also think that many if not most corporate sector types will be delighted for a real alternative to appear

Apple is still working on their strategy. The 3G iPhone was one of the tools, as will be Snow Leopard when it's released. I don't think Apple has shown us everything they've got planned yet and the full picture won't become apparent until the middle of next year.
Mick

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users