• You cannot reply to this topic

Apple "updates"

#1 User is offline   JamieD 

• (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:tech, home audio, music, films, books, toys, lego

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:49 AM

I'm starting to think that Apple need to change their business model in a major way.

They have already adopted a 'tick-tock' model in the same way as chip manufacturers such as Intel have but I think that they also need to rethink their whole keynote strategy.

Take the iPhone 7 for example, to me it has nothing that makes me want to update from my current iPhone 6 and didn't really need the showmanship of a keynote, upgrades to the internals (including CPU, memory, camera etc) are in my view pretty minor updates when they are keeping essentially the same form factor of the device and should be released as a press release and update on the website. This also goes for any similar updates to the iMac, MacBook and MacPro (although I fear the MacPro is probably a dead product now anyway).

The only real need for the exhibitionism that is a keynote is for something that it totally new - like the initial release of the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and MacBook so in my view the next keynote for the iPhone should be when the form factor and device change in a major fashion as it may do next year (being the 10th anniversary of the device). When you have something to wow us with then wow us with it but the mediocrity of 'updates' in recent years has been nothing short of yawn inducing and then there is also the fact that none of the current management team have any decent presentation skills, they don't make is want the product in the same way as Steve did.

#2 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

Agreed, the keynote is now trying to create a fake 'wow' factor, when there is nothing to ' wow' over. The '7' is another minor incremental upgrade, and not even close to tempting me to upgrade - especially as I just had the battery replaced in my iPhone 6, making it 'as new', and considering the weak A$ making a new phone $1200!.

Not even close Apple, to me going 'Wow, must have that'.

#3 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:00 AM

A one word summary of this mornings Apple keynote = "meh" , nothing fantastic from my point of view

I hate the fact that they have put the horrible force trackpad and new keyboard on the machines. A giant step backwards in usability for me so bye-bye Apple, my next machine won't be one of yours (especially at your ridiculously high prices)

#4 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

The high prices are what kills me. Back in Sept '13 I bought a 13" MBA. I maxed out the RAM and upgraded to the i7. It came to around ~$1500 from memory. Now if I want to replace it, I either have to pay through the nose for a MBP, go for a two year old new MacBook, or (and this is the kicker) buy the exact same machine that hasn't been updated for a couple of years.

I just hope that once the finishing touches are put on Apple Park they can all get back to work.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#5 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

Agreed, why would I spend around $4350 (NZ) on a Mac when I can get an equivalent (or better) spec'd PC for just over half the price? Apple's desktops are dead, they use old CPU technology and have no user upgradability (other than ram in the 27" iMac) so why would I spend money on a machine that might last 2-3 years when I can spend less than half on a PC that I can reasonably expect to last far longer as I can actually upgrade memory, CPU, video cards, storage etc. with ease.

I love OS X but it's not worth $2000 extra on the price!

#6 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 06:03 PM

The new machines are nice but still excessively expensive, I was thinking about a mid range 27" iMac with 512 GB SSD but at around $4000 (NZ) it's just ludicrous

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users