// //

Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: new mbp connects to airport, but not internet - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new mbp connects to airport, but not internet

#1 User is offline   macchef 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

i'm ashamed.

you see, i've ignored you for ages, and now, with a problem, i return.

but what to do? there is no doubt that you folks nail a solution every time, and so, with pride swallowed, i opt to pose a question.

last week my old (2yrs!) mbp dies (logic board i was told, and not worth repairing). so i bought a new 15" mbp

it all works great. after some decisions regarding migration assistant and time machine back up, i was away.

this arvo, i tried to connect to an old airport in a separate part of the house. never tried it before with this computer. it connected, but no internet. mrs macchef had internet with her macbook air right next to me.

the ethernet cable gave me internet, but just not via the airp[ort. mrs mc got an error message about "10.1.1.1 already in use.....dhcp server......"

at the same time, (i put it down to having no net) my mail app kept searcghing for my mobileme mail. spinning wheel.

inside the house, on my old airport, no probs with net. but my mail won't work. same prob, spinning wheel. (accessing my mail on me.com is fine. iphone mail is fine).

could my attempt to connect via old airport triggered a prob that now persists whereever i go?

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Chefy where the hell have you been... LOL

Hey do you have your airport base station configured with a password? I am just wondering if you have it set so only the computers listed, are able to access your airport, which means you will need to go into your base station under utilities ~ airport utility and add your new macbook to the list ?

TL
Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   macchef 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

yes for pawwsord, but not for exclusive computers

postscript - mail has returned to normal. so, just have peculiar access issue. perhaps a point in time issue with the other devices involved

#4 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

I have a similar problem off and on running a Time Capsule off an Optus/Netgear cable modem and extended using WDS by an older AirPort Extreme. We run two iMacs, a MacBook, a MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and three or four other network devices off the Wi-Fi network, and sometimes one or two (but but never all) will have internet access problems while remaining on the network. I'm not an expert on networks :blink: but I find I can get it all working again by unplugging the Netgear and TC, then booting the Netgear again, followed by the TC. I never have to touch the AirPort.

It's a band-aid solution (and a pain), but I haven't worked out what the problem is yet.

Cheers
Dave

#5 User is offline   Martin Kingsley 

• Help Guru

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

It's probably DHCP assignment troubles.

Essentially, the router is assigning each device on the network an IP address, and as old objects come back online for syncing (iPhones and the like) or computers come out of sleep, there can be some confusion, as some devices will carry their old IP addresses from their last interaction from the network with them, overlapping with devices that have already had that IP address assigned.

For instance, if your DHCP IP address pool is a range from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.10, and your router is 10.0.0.1 and your computer is 10.0.0.2, then when you connect your iPhone to the wireless network it should become 10.0.0.3, and so on. But if your Mac is in sleep mode (essentially, off the network), then 10.0.0.2 becomes free again, and when your iPhone connects it may steal 10.0.0.2 for itself. Your iMac comes out of sleep, tries to regain its old network position and freaks out that it can't ('the IP address is already in use' error you encountered).

Adding your Macbook to the list of authorised devices via the Airport Utility (if it turns out you have the Airport set to a strict devices list, which might be the case) is a good idea. Another possible solution is to manually set the IP address of your Airport connection (in the Network section of your System Preferences) to a non-conflicting address (your network appears to be addressing in the 10.1.1.x range, so try putting in 10.1.1.4 as your Airport IP address). Let us know how you go.

#6 User is offline   macchef 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:17 AM

thanks martin

i'll have a play today, but that sounds pretty plausible.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users