Blu-ray Macs

#21 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:03 AM

Remy,

I currently do 50% of my replies in here on my ipod touch, without a drama, so without stepping on the Administrations toes, I would say the answer to your second question is a resounding YES, give it a try for yourself.
Come on 20K

Ken

#22 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:44 AM

As TLCAUS says, the iPhone/iPod touch version of Safari makes it possible to interact with just about any web site pretty much as you normally would on a desktop computer, albeit on a smaller screen. Will we be adding functionality to the site specifically for mobile devices?

Wait and see.
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#23 User is offline   Remy 

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for answering. Really enjoying the new site - some great features in here!

#24 User is offline   coins 

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:54 AM

i hate the name blueray, i can't wait til this pissing contest is over and the consumer can just go and purchase a HD DVD player & associated discs.

as for putting them in computers, geesh that will throw a spanner in the works, people will now be able to download HD torrents with 2 channel audio tracks. HD image is no use to me unless i can have digital sound content. Yes the macs have digital audio out , but where is the digital audio input going to come from? Does your computer have the ability to process digital audio as an input?

#25 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

You seem very confident that HD-DVD will win coins?

I was leaning more towards Blu-ray coming out a mile in front from most posts.

My second point is how many mac users out there actually need 2 channel audio tracks, and then need to actually process it , would it be .0001%.

I think Apple do a lot of homework on what people need and cater for it, thats what makes them any other company successful, you give the people in the magnitude what they want, not what they think they want.

I could be using a simplistic view of things, but thats how i also have stayed in business for so many years, and also grown.
Come on 20K

Ken

#26 User is offline   coins 

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (TLCAUS @ Jan 28 2008, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You seem very confident that HD-DVD will win coins?

I was leaning more towards Blu-ray coming out a mile in front from most posts.

My second point is how many mac users out there actually need 2 channel audio tracks, and then need to actually process it , would it be .0001%.

I think Apple do a lot of homework on what people need and cater for it, thats what makes them any other company successful, you give the people in the magnitude what they want, not what they think they want.

I could be using a simplistic view of things, but thats how i also have stayed in business for so many years, and also grown.

Nope never said HD-DVD will 'win' but which ever format is the consenus it will be known as [/B]HD DVD[B/] because it will be offering High Definition DVD.
If apple always get things right, who are they putting garage band on the macs for? IMO waste of zero's & ones.

#27 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

What's wrong with garage band ?

It's a great little app for us who are musically challenged.. and just want to have some fun or a rainy day.

Sure it's not going to make you the Next Beatles or Rolling Stones , Or Brittany spears (if you are so inclined) but i dont believe its aimed at that market.

Garage band a waste of zeros and ones, I don't believe so.

Of course others may agree with you.

Come on 20K

Ken

#28 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (coins @ Jan 28 2008, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If apple always get things right, who are they putting garage band on the macs for? IMO waste of zero's & ones.

Why, you of course, coins, and anyone else who wants to win a brand new iPod touch in our Podcast competition. Use GarageBand to write opening and closing theme songs (ten and fifteen seconds each) for the AMW Weekend Edition podcast and you can get free stuff, as well as of course the fame and kudos of having thousands of people each week listen to your creation.

Here endeth the plug. wink.gif
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#29 User is offline   coins 

Post icon  Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

i only ask about garage band because i've never seen anyone use it. But i don't visit many primary schools so i could be mistaken biggrin.gif

#30 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

many primary schools so i could be mistaken

My 10y/o son dabbles in Garage band when he can get to my Mac wink.gif

Isn't he a legitimate user?
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#31 User is offline   Remy 

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:52 AM

If only my school could dump the old HPs and get some Macs... we'd use Garageband all day long.

#32 User is offline   Normandy 

• Power user
  • Pip
  • Interests:I am a video producer by trade, I have an active interest in SCI FI, and all things technical, scientific, and an armchair interests in cosmology and astronomy. I also am a proud Aussie, and have a healthy pursuit of traveling Australia, and seeing many places, and people.

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (coins @ Jan 28 2008, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope never said HD-DVD will 'win' but which ever format is the consenus it will be known as [/B]HD DVD[B/] because it will be offering High Definition DVD.

I see neither winning in the end.... as downloads will take over within the next 5 years, just as happened with music.... sure people will still buy discs.. but the cost and convince factor will make download so much more appealing...

#33 User is offline   Anthony Caruana 

• Power mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Christianity, Macs, Mobility, Computing, Sport, Music, Movies

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

Over the last year or so Apple has begun to move away from storage on media such as DVD. Why would they get involved in the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD debate? I know they're on the Blu-Ray board but that's more likely to just be a way to mitigate the risk of Blu-Ray becoming a standard and not being ready for it rather than an endorsement of Blu-ray as the "way to go".

Look at iMovie 08. You Tube integration comes in, iDVD integration goes out. Look at the iTunes store. Movie purchasing and rental via the Internet - no need for media. Video sharing with relatives and friends - YouTube and .mac.

Apple will probably release a Blu-Ray drive (I suspect they'll wait till there's a thin enough Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive) but it won't be because they want us to burn movies to it. it's more likely so that we can store oodles of data such as iPhoto backups, etc).
Anthony Caruana
Editor - Macworld Australia
Twitter @anthony_caruana

#34 User is offline   mac rant 

• Power user
  • Pip

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

A few replies in one, so be patient.

The keep your multi-region DVD player advice is absolutely correct - if they weren't going to make them compatible, BD player manufacturers should have dispensed with the red laser in the BD players and charged less for a BD-only player. It's a software choice, of course, and maybe in a few years (when everybody's thrown out their DVDs), they'll proudly boast multi-region DVD (they way they do now about their DVD only players).

People complaining about start times for BD players mustn't realise HD-DVD takes much longer.

My gripes with Apple not providing Blu-ray output for HD iMovies, what about Blu-ray movie playback... some kind of combo-BD drive? Still no on Mac, currently <AUS$300 for Windows OS.[/b] I suppose we could run bootcamp??

Probably shouldn't say this, but every Region B blu-ray player I've tested (sharp, pioneer, sony) plays Region A without complaint, no matter what the websites & manuals state. BUT as noted above, won't play Region 1 DVDs... so, no sale, no matter how cheap they get. Half my collection won't play. And don't even ask about DVD-Audio or SACD, in spite of being able to handle 96/24 audio for BD.

We await BD Recorders, due in Australia later this year... and their price drop to 'affordable'. Any guesses when?

I know there are people out there who still think HD-DVD is viable. It's over folks.
Warners dropped it because they couldn't justify making the discs. There wasn't enough demand. BD had 95% of the Australian market BEFORE the Warners announcement. The US was the only place HD-DVD was selling in any quantities - peaking at almost 40% with Transformers 'exclusive'. There was only 1 player manufacturer, Toshiba - not good for competition - long term.
Since the Warners announcement, US HD-DVD sales are down to 18% and shrinking faster every week. Despite Toshiba giving way players on street corners. Rumour is that Toshiba will be making a BD player soon. I've had a number of Toshiba DVD players, they're very nice, but I couldn't support a format that wouldn't do uncompressed PCM audio.

#35 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

so I guess people dreaming of a combo drive - blue-ray / hd will have to keep dreaming
Come on 20K

Ken

#36 User is offline   Normandy 

• Power user
  • Pip
  • Interests:I am a video producer by trade, I have an active interest in SCI FI, and all things technical, scientific, and an armchair interests in cosmology and astronomy. I also am a proud Aussie, and have a healthy pursuit of traveling Australia, and seeing many places, and people.

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (mac rant @ Feb 3 2008, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
• I know there are people out there who still think HD-DVD is viable. It's over folks.
Warners dropped it because they couldn't justify making the discs. There wasn't enough demand. BD had 95% of the Australian market BEFORE the Warners announcement. The US was the only place HD-DVD was selling in any quantities - peaking at almost 40% with Transformers 'exclusive'. There was only 1 player manufacturer, Toshiba - not good for competition - long term.
Since the Warners announcement, US HD-DVD sales are down to 18% and shrinking faster every week. Despite Toshiba giving way players on street corners. Rumour is that Toshiba will be making a BD player soon. I've had a number of Toshiba DVD players, they're very nice, but I couldn't support a format that wouldn't do uncompressed PCM audio.

This is NOT TRUE, you need to go listen to the latest digital production buzz and listen to the HD DVD and BLU Ray analysis.

"Bruce Nazarian , President, DVD Association, brings us another of his monthly reports on the highly-conflicted world of HD DVDs..." well worth a listen before any further comment is made!
Just cause Hollow-wood has now gorne 70% to Blu Ray doesn't mean the independent film producer will.. anyways go listen to the people in the area and all will be explained to you.

http://www.digitalproductionbuzz.com/Podcast/

#37 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

No, they can stop dreaming because, as mac rant says, it's unlikely ever to be necessary. Everything will be on BD.
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#38 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Normandy @ Feb 3 2008, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just cause Hollow-wood has now gorne 70% to Blu Ray doesn't mean the independent film producer will.. anyways go listen to the people in the area and all will be explained to you.

I'll have a listen to that, but my initial reaction is that Indies are unlikely to go with a format that Hollywood regards as unviable. The mass audience will follow the major studios and the Indies will do what they need to do to ensure some return on their hard work.

MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#39 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests: Apple Inc.
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

If Apple does choose either side I personally hope they go Blu-Ray but I would think with the iTunes movie download service and MacBook Air with no optical drive and iMovie '08, it seems that Apple don't care to much about DVD's anymore.
jz
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" - Steve Jobs

#40 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:18 PM

DVD's Or CD's, Jamie, i would lean more towards DVD at the moment as still being alive and well, as nearly every app since Tiger has come out DVD.

If you wanted it on CD, from memory you had to buy it on DVD and send it back to apple with $10 or $20 bucks, to have it changed to a CD. MJ, or Alex or somebody else will correct me on this if i am wrong. But i do remember sending back Tiger to apple to have it swapped over for some nominal fee so i could install it on my daughters Imac lamp.
Come on 20K

Ken

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users