• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blu-ray Macs

#1 User is offline   Remy 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:58 AM

It seems there is another rumor surfacing of Blu-ray desktop and laptop computers. Apple sits on the board of the Blu-ray Disc Association and has been since July 2005, so I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a Blu-ray reader in their MacBook Pros or iMacs perhaps? I believe this would also confirm Blu-ray's significant lead in the format war against HD DVD. Please reply!

#2 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:25 PM

It's an intriguing one, isn't it? Apple is part of the BD Association, but its software supports both BD and HD-DVD so it's hard to pick which way it will jump. At this stage only Sony and Toshiba -- whose allegiances to one format or the other are obvious -- have high-definition disc drives on their production machines. Everyone else seems to be holding off to see which way the market falls.

About the only thing that can be said for certain is that if Apple builds a BD or HD-DVD disc into its machines, it won't only be a reader -- it will also be a burner. And given the current size of high-definition burners, that means it will be in a desktop Mac at first. If you've seen the size of Toshiba and Sony's high-definition monster laptops you'll understand that they don't fit in Apple's design aesthetic.

So I'm guessing here, but I'd say we'll have either Blu-ray Disc or HD-DVD (and I'm leaning towards BD) as an option on 2008 Mac Pros. When a slimline, slot-loading burner comes along, we'll see it as an option in laptops.
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#3 User is offline   Remy 

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for letting me know - looking forward to Macworld!

#4 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Things Mac related

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

Apparently Blue Ray supports DRM and HD DVD does not.
I'll be disappointed if Apple only goes Blue Ray.
Look at the mess they now have because they agreed to the greedy demands for DRM from the record companies.
Universal pulling TC shows from the US iTunes store, non exclusive music contracts, Amazon getting access to unrestricted mp3s
I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners." - Unknown

Pete

#5 User is offline   Alex Kidman 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

If Apple goes anything, given the events surrounding BR/HD-DVD over the last week, it's almost certainly going to be Blu-Ray; HD-DVD isn't dead, but it is turning a pretty funny colour...

Which is a massive pain for Australian consumers, as HD-DVD has no region coding, whereas Blu-Ray does...

#6 User is offline   Dan Warne 

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (MJCP @ Jan 2 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's an intriguing one, isn't it? Apple is part of the BD Association, but its software supports both BD and HD-DVD so it's hard to pick which way it will jump.

When you say software, which software are you referring to Matthew? I'm assuming you're not talking Apple DVD player? Because I was unaware that that had any HD compatibility at this stage...?

#7 User is offline   Alan 

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Dan Warne @ Jan 12 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you say software, which software are you referring to Matthew? I'm assuming you're not talking Apple DVD player? Because I was unaware that that had any HD compatibility at this stage...?

Leopard's DVD Player added limited compatibility with Blu-Ray discs.

EDIT: I can't find the link where I read this, but i'm sure it was on MacRumors/AppleInsider...

#8 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (Dan Warne @ Jan 12 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to DVD Studio Pro.
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#9 User is offline   mac rant 

• Power user
  • Pip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (azzamallow @ Jan 14 2008, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone remember when Apple were making the transition from CD to DVD and how Apple handled that? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it followed a similar trend.

Absolutely. Apple was almost the last to offer a DVD burner. Nobody expects anything at MacWorld SF... so unless there's some kind of miracle, we'll be waiting...

'They' gave BD burners to winMachines in 2006, because 'they' knew they'd never work. Once Apple does one, BD will break out all over.

Apple has had iMovie HD editing since 2005 but no means of output. As late as the iLife '08 launch Steve Jobs was making jokes about does anybody output to DVD any more? No they don't because YOU won't let them, Mr Jobs. And don't think we'll be getting our relatives to download our HD home movies from your servers Mr Jobs... most of my relatives can't download a 1MB email, much less Gigs of video.

Do we have to wait 3 years to be able to put an HD iMovie onto a playable disc? REALLY? What ever happened to putting 'shorts' onto 'ordinary' DVDs in AVCHD format? NOT EVEN THAT Mr Jobs? SHAME!

Membership of BDA is not to proliferate the technology, but to hold it back. Imagine all the nasty stuff that could happen if Apple gave people a way to put HD content onto discs that BDPlayers can play!!! TiVO/EyeTV television shows will be able to be saved for later (shock!!).

It's not too early for BD. BDPlayers are selling quite well... well enough to knock HD-DVD out of the park. Wake up and smell the plastic. The war is over. BD won. And we haven't even gotten tickets to the game, yet.

The last thing the BDA wants YOU to do is make your OWN CONTENT... that's their market and you're not getting a piece of it. ANY of it. It's not for YOU to use, it's for them to SELL you !

As we've seen with iTunes, Apple gets into bed with the content 'distributors'...
(and I use that term as loosely as the English language will allow)
Apple gets screwed, and we get screwed.

Apple is clearly too close to the BDA and we've been screwed for a way to output HD content for 3 years, including nearly 2 years for actual Blu-rayDiscs. Yes, BD blanks are expensive, but if home users WANT to make a BDPlayer compatible disc... why should Apple actively prevent them?

Oh, that's right, it should only be in the hands of 'professionals'... now that doesn't sound like the Apple we buy from...

I'd be happier if Apple would announce they were withdrawing from the BDA.

[magazine editors note - for a thoroughly researched version of this RANT, get your Administrator to email me]

#10 User is offline   Remy 

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

Only one mention of Blu-ray at Macworld Keynote - by the CEO of Fox Home Entertainment, who said that "it looks like it's going to be Blu-ray" as the consumer's choice of High Definition. After all, Warner Bros, New Line Cinema and HBO announced they'd be going Blu-ray exclusive at CES. Still hoping that Apple will unveil Blu-ray Macs sometime during the year, or at Macworld Expo in 2009.

#11 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

mac rant

Less coffee please on your next tea break
Come on 20K

Ken

#12 User is offline   mac rant 

• Power user
  • Pip

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

sorry, that's me without coffee
coffee is like sugar, you get a rush, your body compensates and you're stuffed for the rest of the day

But if Apple claims they're supporting Blu-ray one more time... [unmentionable gestures deleted by text filter]
They're supporting the BDA, not users.

I gather AVCHD takes a bit of processing power... so what do we get? Translucent Quartz user interface...
now I'm just getting worked up again

Blu-ray, 3G iPhone, 16GB or 32 GB iPhone (personally I'm going to try to use that port at the bottom for external storage),
Glossy Apple Cinema Displays... and 48 weeks left in the year.

Nobody can live up to this kind of user expectation.

I'm still rooting for the iNewton (I think I'm still listed somewhere on the net as a Newton User Group contact).

or at least the MacBook Touch (this looks like the perfect design - Apple should have offered this 'guy' a job)

Attached File(s)

#13 User is offline   friday 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

We bought a 40" 1080p Sony tv and a matching Blu-ray player. Both produce excellent pictures and sound, but I was close to giving the Blu back to Sony because it always took a lot of time to get it going.

The problem is that some ops take a very long time (e.g. 60 secs) and no warning whatsoever to wait.
Believing that this key does not work, you try something else, but that invalidates a process...
You cant open the tray, then you press off and the tray opens but the unit is not off.

If this is a typical Blu-ray behaviour, then I don't think that I am keen on Blu-ray Macs, at least for the time being.

#14 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (Remy @ Jan 25 2008, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only one mention of Blu-ray at Macworld Keynote - by the CEO of Fox Home Entertainment, who said that "it looks like it's going to be Blu-ray" as the consumer's choice of High Definition.

Unfortunately Blu-ray won't be the consumer's choice, and I actually doubt it ever would have been. The consumer chose against the regime of region coding on DVDs telling us what we could watch, where we could watch it and when we could watch it. Somehow I doubt very much that consumers -- if given a genuine choice -- would have chosen the HD format with an even stricter (though rather more logical) system of region coding. The real differentiator between the formats, to my mind, was HD-DVD's lack of region coding. A truly sensible choice.

But region coding is the studios' choice, and that's what the consumer will end up with. Will this "open the floodgates"? I doubt it very much. I expect a lot of people will now wait until they know there's a way to bypass the region coding on Blu-ray players before buying. Whether the studios will keep pouring money into it while everyone waits is the next question.

It may well be the case that Sony has managed to kill off HD discs as a mainstream purchase for the foreseeable future. Quite an achievement.
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#15 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:48 AM

I guess that's a lot like when the first cds come out for the mac (external 3rd party ones) i still remember working in a large department store that sold macs, way back when, and we use to sell 1 speed CD readers for the mac 11ci and 11Fx, models.

You used to shove a cd in, make coffee, go to maccas, eat it and come back and hey presto the program popped up on the on the desktop.

I guess what i am getting at is, as with all technology it will slowly get faster, i think this could be one of the key reasons apple is holding off. Maybe they are just waiting for faster loading Blu ray Players, and the price to drop to a manageable level.

Come on 20K

Ken

#16 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (mac rant @ Jan 15 2008, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Absolutely. Apple was almost the last to offer a DVD burner.

Sure there were other computers with DVD burners of various formats (like the Panasonic DVD-RAM drives that couldn't burn discs for use in standard consumer set-top DVD players) but Apple introducing the Pioneer SuperDrive along with iDVD software that could create discs compatible with most DVD players made a huge impact in the industry. I also remember that for some time Apple was the least expensive place to go to buy blank DVD media.

I think regardless of whether Apple was the first to include a DVD burner, it was the first to make DVD creation a mainstream and accessible activity.

MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#17 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:59 AM

MJ, be nice i still have a Panasonic DVD- Ram player ~ burner at home, but alas you are correct your cant use them in the mac, but its still makes a nice home dvd player tongue.gif

Come on 20K

Ken

#18 User is offline   Remy 

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

I do agree with everyone here, region coding is one thing we could all do without. However, there is significantly less region coding on Blu-ray, compared to DVD.

On DVD, Australia & New Zealand are known as 'Region 4', which includes the following countries:

Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Central America, the Caribbean, Mexico, Oceania, and South America (except French Guiana)

On Blu-ray, Australia & New Zealand are known as 'Region B' (or 'Region 2'), which includes the following countries:

Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.

On DVD, there are six regions (in use), Blu-ray only has three regions. And, while the HD DVD specification does not currently include a region lockout system, there are future plans from Toshiba, Microsoft, Universal and Paramount to do so.

In conclusion, Blu-ray does pose as a better option for consumers, and Warner Bros recent move confirms that statement.

#19 User is offline   MJCP 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

Fewer regions does not equal less region coding. The region coding on Blu-ray is more sensible and less seemingly arbitrary than the region coding on DVDs but it will be harder to circumvent. What's more, when playing DVDs on a BD player you're still stuck with the same region coding system as DVD, but in a harder-to-crack form.

So if you're like me, and everyone I know, and have a mix of Region 1 and Region 4 DVDs on the shelf, don't throw that region-free DVD player out when you buy BD.

(And for the record, even HD-DVD players, which have no region coding for HD-DVDs, still have region coding for DVDs.)
MJCP

We All Shine On ...

#20 User is offline   Remy 

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:20 AM

First of all, Thanks to everyone so far for answering and contributing to this topic. A bit of news about putting Blu-ray into Macs - Sony has just developed a new smaller, cheaper laser (with Hitachi I think), which might fit inside an MBP soon?

P.S. Will there be an iPhone/iPod touch version of the website? It'd be great to be able to reply using Wi-Fi on my iPod. You've done a great job so far.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users