Macworld Australia

Macworld Forums: One Opportunity, One Question - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One Opportunity, One Question What should we ask Steve's old roommate?

#1 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cinema, soapboxing, writing, reading, coffee.

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

Afternoon all,

Without going into too much detail before it's even eventuated, I have a pretty wonderful interview prospect on the horizon scheduled for 8am tomorrow (2pm Cupertino time, if that gives you a little clue).

I don't know if I have seconds or minutes to ask the questions I really want answers to on Apple, Steve Jobs and how the whole journey began.

So I'll turn this to you and ask that you submit some questions you would ask if you has once chance to find out something about the man behind the brand.

What do you most want to know?

I'll be checking in all night in the lead up to tomorrow, help me out guys I know you'll all have suggestions on board.

G

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

More info Grace, are we talking CEO, software, iOS or Marketing, if we know the answer to these questions, we will also know what questions we would like answered...
Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

From the no response Ken I would say Grace is having a few wines to calm her nerves.

As Ken said its a bit open ended, from the 500 odd pages i have poured through so far in the Walter Isaacson biography there is a plethora of little anecdotes for us fan boy's & girls to enjoy.

The premise so far is "on Apple, Steve Jobs and how the whole journey began"

We kind of know that know from the book and mountains of information already published.

For me, if i could ask something, it would be related to Siri....the history and projected future, where we speak to our computers and there is no need for key boards.

I hope i am not off on another tangent here, i have that tendency to read things wrong and fly South instead of going North

Thoughts forumers????
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#4 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

The guy was a former roommate of Steve's, and involved in the first Apple computers. So Grace is really looking at the formative years, I suppose.

For my part, Grace, I'd like to know if it was those early ashram/drug-taking days that shaped Steve's view that computers could and should be used as a tool for good.

Cheers
Dave

#5 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

I would really like to know how Apple keep things so secretive and not let things leak out of HQ. ( Sometimes we a get a gist of what's coming out, but still it's always very secretive).

How much input did Steve Jobs actually have in designing a product. Surely there are some pretty incredible people within Apple who came up with some of the product ideas. It wasn't only Steve Jobs?

What do Apple think about all the rumors leading up to the release of a product.Do they follow the rumors and perhaps use some of them as inspiration to help design a product?

These are just some questions you can ask if you like. Feel free to modify them of course.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

#6 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

After reading a large chunk of the jobs biography, I want to know, why he cried every time he didn't get his way, was he really a big softie on the inside, who just pretended to be a hard nut on the outside
Come on 20K

Ken

#7 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

Yes, it's really a case of finding out how Apple began. What objectives really powered the company into being and whether they remained the same over the years through bankruptcy to the powerhouse it is today. I, too, would be interested to find out how involved Steve was in the design process of Apple products.

I also want to find out the sorts of experiences and thoughts Steve considered during his time in India, because it is following this sojourn that Apple was created.

Daniel Kottke has agreed to an interview tomorrow, the same guy who shared a room with Steve at college, travelled with him to India, and then returned some months later to build Apple I in a garage. Kottke was also one of Apple's first employees.

Something that has always intrigued me is the connection between Apple and its consumers. There's a psyche that exists here, unlike any other.

But of course, beyond this train of thought I wanted to ask you what you want to know about Apple and Steve .be it marketing, leadership, the early years or enterprise and branding.

What about his most annoying habit or favourite pizza topping?

Sky's the limit!

#8 User is offline   Dave Bullard 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

How was Steve at playing the guitar? Did he do passable versions of Bob Dylan, The Beatles and The Grateful Dead?

Was Steve really such a food Nazi? Was he a pain to live with?

Was Woz around at the time you shared? What was he like? What was the connection between him and Steve?

What was your role at Apple?

How revolutionary was the Apple I? Did you know you guys were changing the world?

Did Steve ever speak about his biological dad and Syrian heritage?

#9 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

Now we are getting somewhere, my question ('s)...

The influence of the Maharaj-ji (Neen Karoli Baba) on both of them whilst in India, the diets, religious dogma, Daniel's interpretation of this, we know from the book so far the acid trips were quiet frequent, but in India there wouldn't have been any LSD readily available

so did this have any positive / negative outcomes prior returning to the USA and starting off Apple inc?

#10 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

Well, I made contact! But we had to reschedule the interview for tomorrow morning, so that gives me a little more pondering time! Can't wait...

G

#11 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

View Postgracer, on 28 October 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

Well, I made contact! But we had to reschedule the interview for tomorrow morning, so that gives me a little more pondering time! Can't wait...

G

More wine and some acid Grace that will get the interview rolling...:)

#12 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

Thanks Mick, not sure I'll be 'dropping' anything myself but potential questions, though the drugs aspect will definitely be discussed :)

#13 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Last acid you dropped mick was when you were filling your car batteries water level :P
Come on 20K

Ken

#14 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests: Apple Inc.
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

What an opportunity G. Some of the questions suggested sound great. I guess I'd ask him what were Steve's views on other design related products - cars, houses. TV. What other companies did he admire? So many questions to ask...

jz
jz
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" - Steve Jobs

#15 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

Ken Gracey, on 28 October 2011 - 04:38 PM, said:

1319783899[/url]' post='73824']
Last acid you dropped mick was when you were filling your car batteries water level :P

Well, Ken I am not going to incriminate myself here on the forum, but I have seen a few square pieces of blotting paper
In my time......

#16 User is offline   JZ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests: Apple Inc.
    Sony
    Nintendo
    Pixar
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Reading
    Food - Cooking
    Photography
    Design
    Great Coffee

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

so G how did it go?

jz
jz
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" - Steve Jobs

#17 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

Well, after many failed attempts and rescheduling, we finally got a chance to talk (3am AESDT). Was a very interesting interview, about 40 minutes long but after edits it'll probably sit around the 30-minute mark. We'll get this up on the site tomorrow for you all to have a listen.

Daniel is a great guy, very laid back and completely candid. One thing that I sensed very strongly was his affection for Steve. And this isn't something I expected when you consider they had quite the falling out many years ago over stock shares, promotion and, ultimately, his leaving Apple..

Daniel also talks about Steve being adopted and the sorts of therapy he underwent to try and deal with it, plus a few scandalous tidbits about girlfriends and some good old-fashioned rivalry.

I had no idea how long I would have him on the phone for, but I asked him most of the questions I set out to.

I only hope you guys like it and that it gives you another insight, that you normally may not have the opportunity to hear.

G

#18 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

Cannot wait for this, any chance of a downloadable podcast Grace? How was your trip?

#19 User is offline   gracer 

• Assistant Editor
  • PipPip

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

Good idea, Mick, definitely a possibility. Trip was wonderfully trippy. Though I must say, Daniel was pragmatic (and actually pretty logical) on the topic of drugs and the connection between the psychedelic and Jobs' business acumen.

#20 User is offline   BrianB 

• Pat a Mac
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything Apple,Technology, Photography

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

On ya Grace... It will be good to listen to.
Favourite Fruit....An Apple!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users