What Mac games are everybody playing?

#21 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Web development, Macs and cycling

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (mickdevlin @ Sep 17 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only game on my machine is Chess, and that's only there because it is part of Mac OS X.

QUOTE (TLCAUS @ Sep 17 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL Mick you old stick in the Mud tongue.gif

<wry smile>My thoughts exactly. And the only reason Chess is still actually there, is it's part of Mac OS X.

If you need to know whether a Spade is indeed a spade, Mick will clarify it for you in a flash smile.gif

---=== The future looks cloudy ===---

#22 User is offline   rachp 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (David Braue @ Sep 17 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you played the remakes?

They're Windows-only but would easily run in a Fusion/Parallels virtual machine. We've played KQ1 and 2 all the way through and they are very well executed. Good fun!

Hi David, no I haven't, I don't run Windows on my mac so unfortunately can't, I'll just have to stick with the originals.

#23 User is offline   clinton1550 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Dylstra @ Sep 18 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I was completely wrong when I said that I hadn't played any games lately. It wasn't that long ago that I had a few sleepless nights in a row playing Braid. And my three year-old daughter played it as much as she could too. The controls were so simple that she could pick it up and have fun, but the gameplay was fiendishly difficult. It cost less than $20AUD and after playing the demo for a minute I had no hesitation in purchasing it.

I still don't know why the rabbits sounded like cats though.

I completely forgot about that. Braid is the best game in the world it is expletive awesome!

It's just so clever, the time manipulation mechanic is really ingenious. The graphics look superb and the soundtrack is amazing, I've actually bought the soundtrack from somewhere, I forget where but I can find the site again if anyone wants the music.

Have you finished the game yet? The final boss fight is spectacular.
Steve Jobs is not dead, he's driving around in the desert with Elvis and Jesus in a gold plated Cadillac.
Unsanely Great | The Exastential Podcast | Twitter | Flickr | Google+

#24 Guest_coaten_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (Genshin @ Sep 18 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oooh, That reminded me, I have Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars installed - I haven't played that in such a long time.

Hmmm... Kane = Genshin?

wink.gif

If you haven't already, get the Kane's Wrath expansion pack. New units, better balance. Totally worth it.

#25 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (clinton1550 @ Sep 20 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I completely forgot about that. Braid is the best game in the world it is expletive awesome!

It's just so clever, the time manipulation mechanic is really ingenious. The graphics look superb and the soundtrack is amazing, I've actually bought the soundtrack from somewhere, I forget where but I can find the site again if anyone wants the music.

Have you finished the game yet? The final boss fight is spectacular.

Yeah, I've finished the game. The end run was spectacular, and very difficult the first time. Other parts of the game though I am completely nonplussed as to how I actually finished it.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#26 User is offline   Genshin 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (coaten @ Sep 20 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm... Kane = Genshin?

wink.gif

If you haven't already, get the Kane's Wrath expansion pack. New units, better balance. Totally worth it.

biggrin.gif

I wasn't aware there was A Mac version of the expansion. (?) I'll check that out.

Unfortunately those types of games are not available here in Japan. I'll have to get someone to purchase it back in Ozz and send it over.
Genshin

Must Love Japan See Japan in motion
YouTube channel See what I'm up to in Japan

Genshin on Facebook
Genshin on Twitter

Crusade Watch, anti-evangelsim, anti-religious conversion
BELIEVE WHATEVER YOU WANT TO BELIEVE - JUST DON'T EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE IT AND DON'T TRY PUSHING IT ON OTHERS.

#27 Guest_coaten_*

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Genshin @ Sep 21 2009, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif

I wasn't aware there was A Mac version of the expansion. (?) I'll check that out.

Unfortunately those types of games are not available here in Japan. I'll have to get someone to purchase it back in Ozz and send it over.

Oops. The expansion pack is only for PC. I dual-boot so often to play games that I forget to point that out. I don't see my Mac as a Mac any more. It's like a multi-function doing-stuff box. But I forget that others don't dual-boot. Sorry.

#28 User is offline   Genshin 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (coaten @ Sep 21 2009, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oops. The expansion pack is only for PC. I dual-boot so often to play games that I forget to point that out. I don't see my Mac as a Mac any more. It's like a multi-function doing-stuff box. But I forget that others don't dual-boot. Sorry.

No problem. I doubt there could be anything to convince me to install any Windows software on my Mac. biggrin.gif
Genshin

Genshin on Facebook
Genshin on Twitter

BELIEVE WHATEVER YOU WANT TO BELIEVE - JUST DON'T EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE IT AND DON'T TRY PUSHING IT ON OTHERS.

#29 User is offline   aaaamana 

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:08 PM

On Mac:
The Sims 3
Spore
Sim City 4

On Bootcamp:
Sims 2 freetime
GTA IV
The Movies
Far Cry 2

My Computer:
iMac 24" early 2009 4gb 9400m 2.66 core 2 duo

#30 Guest_coaten_*

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (aaaamana @ Oct 7 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On Mac:
The Sims 3
Spore
Sim City 4

On Bootcamp:
Sims 2 freetime
GTA IV
The Movies
Far Cry 2

My Computer:
iMac 24" early 2009 4gb 9400m 2.66 core 2 duo

You're playing The Movies? I've become addicted to The Movies Superstar on Mac. It's surprisingly challenging and fun to play. I didn't expect it would be so good.

#31 User is offline   jaydensayshi 

• Power user
  • Pip
  • Interests:Editing Video In iMovie and Final Cut Pro<br />Sleeping<br />Eating<br />Busting My Mum's Boyfriends Internet Allowance (It Doesn't Cost Him)<br />Eating<br />Looking At failblog.com<br />Helping noobs At Computing<br />RealBasic<br />Mac OS X<br />Australian Cricket Team

Post icon  Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

I play Chess biggrin.gif
And pluzzle laugh.gif
Has anybody seen tourettes guy?

#32 User is offline   media sorcerer 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

i need to install windows,wish they made more native titles for mac,such a shame,call of duty was great,anyone know of anymore good first person shooters to play on mac?
mbpro 15,2.66uni ,iphone8g,airport express

#33 User is offline   clinton1550 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (media sorcerer @ Oct 19 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i need to install windows,wish they made more native titles for mac,such a shame,call of duty was great,anyone know of anymore good first person shooters to play on mac?

I wish they'd make proper native titles for Macs at the same time they made everything else.
Steve Jobs is not dead, he's driving around in the desert with Elvis and Jesus in a gold plated Cadillac.

#34 User is offline   hogscape 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

My game of choice is Civilisation 4: Warlords. I mostly play multiplayer PBEM with friendly Windows gamers but it is of course a magnificent single player game.

It's turn-based and that's my thing. I have the manual dexterity of a suckling pig so no RTS for me.

#35 User is offline   Genshin 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

I just gave Command and Conquer III Tiberian Wars a go with the Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch - wow! How much more enjoyable I found it using a pen on a tablet to control the game! I never would have thought it would be so good.
Genshin

Genshin on Facebook
Genshin on Twitter

#36 Guest_coaten_*

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (media sorcerer @ Oct 19 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unreal Tournament 2004. FPS with balls.

#37 User is offline   Thingme 

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

When the Intel Macs first started entering our lives, I was one of the early ones into slipstreaming WindowsXP DVDs. There was no Boot Camp then and drivers had to be found on the 'net. Googling geeks made it easier. It was only possible to install Windows on Mac Pros at the time because these can have spare internal hard disks. Though, for the adventurous, you could have tossed out your MacOS and replaced it with Windows on any other IntelMac. A Mac that only booted Windows! I was never that adventurous because I like to have my OS X for my productivity apps.

I played many PC games on my 2006 Mac Pro. My favourite genre has always been RPGs as I get bored quickly with FPSs. Tried lots of FPSs but I never play beyond about the first couple of hours.

So, on the Mac OS X side, I enjoy Second Life (an online 3D social networking world) which is hell on earth graphics-wise for most Macs***, except for my new 27" iMac Core i7. The iMac is far superior at Second Life than even my recent 2008 high specced Mac Pro3,1. I don't think Xeons are really suited to 3D gaming. C2Ds are better and the i5 and i7 are better again. I tried The Sims 3 on the Mac Pro but soon got tired of the repetitive nature of nursing my characters through their early lives.

As I intimated, I play almost exclusively PC games on my Macs. I don't own a working PC any more.

It's always been RPGs for me, especially those from Bethesda Softworks. Games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and now on the new iMac under Windows7, Fallout 3: Game Of The Year. Actually this is my third time through this last one; I can't get enough of it. Full detailed attention to all the expansions and all the little side quests as well as the main quest takes me five to seven months to complete depending on whether I give up on my real life or not. I have an admission to make. Fallout 3 is described as an RPG but there is a heck of a lot of FPS about it. However, I think the devs got the balance pretty right.

*** esp. if you run a big 30" display.
27" iMac/i7/8GB:::MacPro3,1/3.2GHz dual quad Xeons/16GB/GTX-285/30" disp
MacPro1,1/3GHz 2x2 core Xeons/8GB/ATI 4870/30" disp:::17" unibody MacBook Pro/2.94GHz/8GB

#38 User is offline   clinton1550 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Thingme @ Dec 3 2009, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When the Intel Macs first started entering our lives, I was one of the early ones into slipstreaming WindowsXP DVDs. There was no Boot Camp then and drivers had to be found on the 'net. Googling geeks made it easier. It was only possible to install Windows on Mac Pros at the time because these can have spare internal hard disks. Though, for the adventurous, you could have tossed out your MacOS and replaced it with Windows on any other IntelMac. A Mac that only booted Windows! I was never that adventurous because I like to have my OS X for my productivity apps.

I played many PC games on my 2006 Mac Pro. My favourite genre has always been RPGs as I get bored quickly with FPSs. Tried lots of FPSs but I never play beyond about the first couple of hours.

So, on the Mac OS X side, I enjoy Second Life (an online 3D social networking world) which is hell on earth graphics-wise for most Macs***, except for my new 27" iMac Core i7. The iMac is far superior at Second Life than even my recent 2008 high specced Mac Pro3,1. I don't think Xeons are really suited to 3D gaming. C2Ds are better and the i5 and i7 are better again. I tried The Sims 3 on the Mac Pro but soon got tired of the repetitive nature of nursing my characters through their early lives.

As I intimated, I play almost exclusively PC games on my Macs. I don't own a working PC any more.

It's always been RPGs for me, especially those from Bethesda Softworks. Games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and now on the new iMac under Windows7, Fallout 3: Game Of The Year. Actually this is my third time through this last one; I can't get enough of it. Full detailed attention to all the expansions and all the little side quests as well as the main quest takes me five to seven months to complete depending on whether I give upon my real life or not. I have an admission to make. Fallout 3 is described as an RPG but there is a heck of a lot of FPS about it. However, I think the devs got the balance pretty right.

*** esp. if you run a big 30" display.

Quick question, what's the 27" iMac's screen like compared to a 30" Cinema Display? Does the extra 3 inches make a huge difference? I'm yet to see the two together.

#39 User is offline   Thingme 

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

Pixels are same the width at 2560. Height: the 30" has more, 1600 versus 1440. So basically you don't see as much of a long web page on the iMac.

The 30" is a 16:10 display whereas the iMac's is a 16:9 or true HD proportions. So on the iMac, a full screen HD movie or TV broadcast should play at 1920x1080 without black bands. The 30 incher gives us black bands.

Side by side without getting out a tape to measure, an Apple 30" Cinema HD display looks a similar size as the entire front of the iMac if you recall the large aluminium lower panel. But taking a little more care, the iMac's main body is higher. In fact it's huge but it sits lower on it's non-adjustable stand. Considering this some more... a full 30" screen with an iMac lower bezel would look very ungainly and be just too bloody big. The 27" display looks just about exactly right for this model.

The 30" is matte whereas the iMac's display is glossy glass. I had zero concerns with the 30's reflections as there are none. However, it is hard to appreciate the image quality of the iMac's because of its glossy reflections in anything but a very dark room.

The slightly higher pixel density of the iMac's does not make a lot of difference compared to the other display. But the iMac's excellent LED backlight obviously improves colour and brightness/contrast. I simply just had to have this iMac because of the superb images. Now if only those reflections...

27" iMac/i7/8GB:::MacPro3,1/3.2GHz dual quad Xeons/16GB/GTX-285/30" disp
MacPro1,1/3GHz 2x2 core Xeons/8GB/ATI 4870/30" disp:::17" unibody MacBook Pro/2.94GHz/8GB

#40 Guest_coaten_*

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:06 AM

Recently finished BioShock on the hardest setting.

The hardest could be harder, but I'll reserve final judgment on that until I play it on my new i7 iMac. I've been playing the game on the entry-level 27in iMac and the frame rate is a bit slow to accommodate more challenging gameplay. Or my mouse is too jittery. Or both.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users