Macworld Forums: Macbook - Mini display port - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Macbook - Mini display port

#1 User is offline   gpp 

• Group: Members

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

Has anyone had experience using this video out to Flat screen TV. I have a Sony Wega

many thanks

#2 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Web development, Macs and cycling

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

I've used the video out from the Mac mini. Not exactly the same thing, but probably close enough. On a flat screen/hi res I'd say picture quality would be reasonable.

You can use the display settings to select the most appropriate screen size to fit your needs.

As an aside, I also use a projector at work with the mini display port. Again display settings are your friend. Resolution on the projector isn't fantastic, but acceptable enough for presentations and rough group editing in spreadsheets, documents etc.
---=== The future looks cloudy ===---

#3 User is offline   skyhawkmatthew 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Technology, Photography, Aviation

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

I've used my MacBook Pro's mini DisplayPort to output to various projectors, displays and LCD TVs - looks and works fine on all of them. smile.gif
Never owned a PC...

#4 User is offline   gpp 

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

Davo, Skyhawkmatthew - Many thanks for feed back - I will now purchase

#5 User is offline   KenR 

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Davo @ Aug 25 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've used the video out from the Mac mini. Not exactly the same thing, but probably close enough. On a flat screen/hi res I'd say picture quality would be reasonable.

You can use the display settings to select the most appropriate screen size to fit your needs.

As an aside, I also use a projector at work with the mini display port. Again display settings are your friend. Resolution on the projector isn't fantastic, but acceptable enough for presentations and rough group editing in spreadsheets, documents etc.

Hi Davo, you seem to be a good person to direct my question to. I have a MacBook with OSX 10.4.11 and have trouble connecting it to a BENQ BP6210 via the mini DVI to VGA conn. The conn only happens occasionly, perhaps because the BENQ cycles through VGA- video- SVHS. Any suggestions?

#6 User is offline   MacDavo 

• Systems Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Web development, Macs and cycling

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (KenR @ Sep 26 2009, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Davo, you seem to be a good person to direct my question to. I have a MacBook with OSX 10.4.11 and have trouble connecting it to a BENQ BP6210 via the mini DVI to VGA conn. The conn only happens occasionly, perhaps because the BENQ cycles through VGA- video- SVHS. Any suggestions?

The only thing that really crops to mind is using the menu on the BENQ to force VGA as the input. We have Dell monitors with numerous inputs, and a BENQ projector with multi inputs. On both of those you can pick a specific input even if it's not plugged in. I'm sure the monitor should have that as well. What you're describing doesn't sound like normal behavior.
---=== The future looks cloudy ===---

#7 User is offline   pmoeser 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Things Mac related

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

We were having all sorts of issues with our Sony projector and various laptops.

Didn't think to try the simple stuff...

A new cable fixed the issue! emot-doh.gif
I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners." - Unknown

Pete

#8 User is offline   KenR 

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

Thks guys, I followed the suggestion to set the input on the BenQ manually to VGA. Still didn't connect on closing lid and opening, but did conn when I did a restart and selected mirror. Bit of a nusiance, as I never turn of my laptop because I always have several pgms running. But it seems to conn every time now. Cheerio.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users