• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Website Probs

#1 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

People have been whinging about 'website problems' and 'forums problems' for a while but i have never exprienced either, until this morning - see attached.

#2 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

Whenever I get something like that I just assume there's some work being done...... and disappear for a few days!

Since Ken isn't around, have you tried resetting your PRAM :mosking: (Just kidding!)

P

#3 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Its still the same today. But once you get into the menus it seems fine. Just the home page.

#4 User is offline   JamieD 

• (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:tech, home audio, music, films, books, toys, lego

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

But the website is very broken, the "View new posts" option simply doesn't work and hasn't for some time.

The lack of real news is quite disturbing as it now seems that MacWorld AU has no original content and is just re posts, rewrites and rehashes of items from other publications. I fear that it's days are numbered and I for one will not be resubscribing to the magazine when my subscription expires.

#5 User is offline   TattooedMac 

• Mr Encryption
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Aussie
    Mac Aficionado
    Beta Tester #iOSDeveloper
    Photographer ~ #CogFrogStudios
    Aperture & NIK Plugins
    #Kickstarter Backer
    #HTML & #CSS

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

I bet you have a Ad Blocker of some sort running as a extension ?? I bought this to Jonathans attention only a week ago, via email, where I said I won't be using another Browser as I love Safari, and he said to me, (from the IT guys, that it is a Ad Blocker Extension problem) and that was that. No "Oh we are trying to fix this" but basically telling me to drop the Ad Blocker or use another Browser (where I would a Ad blocker either way).

Seems as if they WANT/NEED you to have the Adverts load so you click on them, so they get paid, and thats just down right wrong :(
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
2012 13" MBP i7 & Late 2012 21" 2.9GHz i5 - 10.10.3 Yosemite…..iPhone5 - 8.3…….iPad Air 2 - 8.3…….ATV2 - 7.3…….3TB TimeCapsule…….3x Airport Express…….PPC G3 Blue & White 450 MHz

#6 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Yes if that is true we won't be going to another browser, we will be going to another website!

#7 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostTattooedMac, on 11 May 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

Seems as if they WANT/NEED you to have the Adverts load so you click on them, so they get paid, and thats just down right wrong :(

I actually think that ad blockers are downright wrong. I don't mean stopping popups if you wish, but blocking ads is another thing. How many newspapers would be sold if you could somehow buy them without ads?

Ads are a part of life, my brain blocks them anyway! :rolleyes:

On the other hand, you don't need to go to the home page and use the latest posts button, just use this address as your bookmark:

http://www.macworld.com.au/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=new_posts&search_app=forums

Cheers,

P

#8 User is offline   TattooedMac 

• Mr Encryption
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Aussie
    Mac Aficionado
    Beta Tester #iOSDeveloper
    Photographer ~ #CogFrogStudios
    Aperture & NIK Plugins
    #Kickstarter Backer
    #HTML & #CSS

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

View Postbitingmidge, on 13 May 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

I actually think that ad blockers are downright wrong. I don't mean stopping popups if you wish, but blocking ads is another thing. How many newspapers would be sold if you could somehow buy them without ads?

Ads are a part of life, my brain blocks them anyway! :rolleyes:

And its also our prerogative to not get bombarded with a whole lot of crap. Adds are not monitored and unscrupulous people can drop in anything they want, and one I know of MacKeeper pops up EVERYWHERE and my other forum, has 5 people a day come in and ask how to remove it because it causes havoc and they got it from a Pop up Advert !!!

The other reason I block them, is I love a page layout without them. A page looks so much more beautiful without Adverts flashing half naked women, someone offering me (I am a spammer), and then if you do accidentally click one, you can't stop them coming from the same source.
Adds are a evil thing on-line, and just like a newspaper, I never buy from a Add, I always buy from a known source or a friends suggestion !! AMW has too many and I BLOCK them all and will continue to do so, because I wouldn't click on them anyways.

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
2012 13" MBP i7 & Late 2012 21" 2.9GHz i5 - 10.10.3 Yosemite…..iPhone5 - 8.3…….iPad Air 2 - 8.3…….ATV2 - 7.3…….3TB TimeCapsule…….3x Airport Express…….PPC G3 Blue & White 450 MHz

#9 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

I never EVER click on an add...full stop.And do not be bombarded and my screen plastered with adds. I know they are a source of revenues for certain companies, but it has become almost the norm now to be assailed by them. And Peter, you can't blocked them mentally , there are there in front of you and they do enter you consciousness whether you like or not.
If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

#10 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

View Postpegi, on 14 May 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

I never EVER click on an add...full stop.And do not be bombarded and my screen plastered with adds. I know they are a source of revenues for certain companies, but it has become almost the norm now to be assailed by them. And Peter, you can't blocked them mentally , there are there in front of you and they do enter you consciousness whether you like or not.

Is that why I've been buying all that stuff lately? :blink:

P

#11 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

I think relying on ads for revenue is a counter-productive relic from a dead age.

The problem is that the business model depends on giving content away for free in order to sell ad-space. Consumers then get used to receiving their content for free, which makes it difficult for publishers to try different, more direct, revenue streams.

Prior to this kerfuffle with the homepage I hadn't visited the US Macworld site for years. I still don't particularly care for the layout of the site, but I was surprised by the amount of content that I read their that got plonked into Macworld AU. Which means that this forum is the only reason I have to keep coming to this site.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#12 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

HAHAHAH! Don't spend too much tho! :mosking:

View Postbitingmidge, on 14 May 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Is that why I've been buying all that stuff lately? :blink:

P

If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users