• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An Extra Year 2014 June Macworld - "Have your say"

#1 User is offline   Deano 

• Group: Members

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

I just received my MacWorld June Mag :)
In the "Have your say" mail, it talks about the 12-month warranty, and that for Australia (via ACCC) that it is up to 24 months! I did actually hear that some time ago, but didn't think too much more about it....

However reading this article now, it occurs to me, that if the original warranty is 24 months, and if you purchase AppleCare (which I tend to do on all new items, as it's the best extended warranty anywhere on the planet!) does this mean that we should get the 24-month warranty before the "AppleCare extension" kicks in? As most AppleCare is for 2 years extension, should we be getting 4 years Warranty??

#2 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

No. Don't purchase Apple Care (unless you want the 12-month phone support) as it's a waste of money.

The '1-year' Apple Warranty is meaningless in Australia, as under Australian Law quality products are covered by law for years, depending on their quality, price, and the type of product and how long it is 'expected' to last. For e.g. one could argue that if your new $5000 Mac Pro broke after 4-5 years, Apple would have to fix it. Therefore, Apple 2-years statutory warranty is an arbitrary amount of time which Apple has just made up. The law does not specify any particular time frame.

The Apple extended warranted is completely independent of the above law, and will over lap with it. Hence, it's somewhat pointless under Aust law.

#3 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Ah, I should add as a matter of disclosure the letter in Macworld was actually mine! I didn't know that when I posted the above post. Hadn't had a chance to read this month's Macworld yet.

Sorry if you got the same message as that the one in the mag, as it's from the same person!

Vulch

#4 User is offline   Deano 

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:36 AM

Well, that's very ambiguous... Most items last for years! So, in other words, take pot luck cuz you have nothing to stand on.

#5 User is offline   JamieD 

• (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:tech, home audio, music, films, books, toys, lego

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

I wonder when/if the warranty will extend to 2 years here in NZ, we've had similar consumer protection laws with regard to the quality/lifetime of a product for a number of years,

#6 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostDeano, on 28 May 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Well, that's very ambiguous... Most items last for years! So, in other words, take pot luck cuz you have nothing to stand on.

You have Aust consumer laws to stand on. But if you see the wording of the law it is somwhat subjective, saying words to the effect of a product should last a 'reasonable' amount of time depending on price and expected life expectancy. Consumer affairs say approach the reseller in the first instance, and if you dont get satisfaction the n go to consumer affairs in your state to adjudicate.

#7 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

It is subjective, but it should mean for instance that a hard drive failure one day out of warranty (how do they do that?) will be covered. I will probably still pay for Apple Care as I am overseas a large percentage of my time, and the Australian consumer laws don't count other than in Australia.

Having said that, My IPad is three, iPhone is five, my macbookPro is almost six and my iMac is seven years old, so it seems to me that once through the warranty period the odds of needing repair ironically reduce with the years! :mosking:

Cheers,

P

#8 User is offline   Deano 

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Yes, I have had good experiences with AppleCare, covering a number of different issues on different devices right near the ends of their coverage term - without any heartache/troubles/arguments/etc... I've also had many items that are many years old that run quite well... My only issue that has not been fixed was a 3.5yr old 24" iMac with a board issue and two of the firewire ports no longer work - 1yr out of AppleCare and they would not assist with a 3.5yr old machine, and the price was a bit much so I continued to use it as it was.

#9 User is offline   Dylstra 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

View Postbitingmidge, on 28 May 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

It is subjective, but it should mean for instance that a hard drive failure one day out of warranty (how do they do that?) will be covered. I will probably still pay for Apple Care as I am overseas a large percentage of my time, and the Australian consumer laws don't count other than in Australia.

Having said that, My IPad is three, iPhone is five, my macbookPro is almost six and my iMac is seven years old, so it seems to me that once through the warranty period the odds of needing repair ironically reduce with the years! :mosking:

Cheers,

P

An electrician I was speaking to some time ago said that as a general rule, if an electronic device is going to break, then it usually does so pretty early on in its life.

The occasion of the remark was when we were installing a UPS. An old device (that still had the "Telecom" logo on it) failed after the restart. The two times that devices usually failed, he claimed, were almost immediately or after being switched off after running for years.
You might not know it to look at me, but I'm pretty radical.

http://dylstra.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/Dylstra
http://dylstra.tent.is

#10 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

I think it becomes a case of precedence. Once the ACCC has made ruling it can be argued in future cases. I believe the 2 year iPhone statutory warranty thing is in that vein. It's a matter of trying your luck, but being reasonable as well.
"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

#11 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostDylstra, on 28 May 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

An electrician I was speaking to some time ago said that as a general rule, if an electronic device is going to break, then it usually does so pretty early on in its life.

Yes that's been my experience also. On the rare times my Apple product has failed, it always (with the one exception that triggered this forum topic) almost straight away - such as a faulty screen on a 3-week old iPhone 4s, and a faulty Airport that never worked properly out of the box. My experience with Apple is that if there isn't some overt manufacturing or build error that is immediately apparent, their products last years without any problems.

And yes the '2-year' Apple Aust warranty, I'm unsure if that came for the ACCC or Apple, the later I believe as the ACCC only specify a 'reasonable' period of normal functioning of any product, based on price, quality, and expected life of any given product.

Apple's 2-year warranty is an arbitrary figure invented by Apple, but not actually consistent with consumer laws.

#12 User is offline   TattooedMac 

• Mr Encryption
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Aussie
    Mac Aficionado
    Beta Tester #iOSDeveloper
    Photographer ~ #CogFrogStudios
    Aperture & NIK Plugins
    #Kickstarter Backer
    #HTML & #CSS

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostVulch, on 27 May 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

Ah, I should add as a matter of disclosure the letter in Macworld was actually mine! I didn't know that when I posted the above post. Hadn't had a chance to read this month's Macworld yet.

Sorry if you got the same message as that the one in the mag, as it's from the same person!

Vulch

Funny that, when I saw this thread, I thought, Ah I have been published, becauseI sent in a letter as well for Readers Tips on the exact same topic. Ihaven't been able to read this months yet either, (are the digital editions out yet??) so now I feel a little down, knowing its someone else's :-)

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
2012 13" MBP i7 & Late 2012 21" 2.9GHz i5 - 10.10.3 Yosemite…..iPhone5 - 8.3…….iPad Air 2 - 8.3…….ATV2 - 7.3…….3TB TimeCapsule…….3x Airport Express…….PPC G3 Blue & White 450 MHz

#13 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostTattooedMac, on 29 May 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Funny that, when I saw this thread, I thought, Ah I have been published, becauseI sent in a letter as well for Readers Tips on the exact same topic. Ihaven't been able to read this months yet either, (are the digital editions out yet??) so now I feel a little down, knowing its someone else's :-)

Yer the digital edition has been out for weeks TM, but I haven't had time to read that either, sadly. The coming long weekend maybe - but then the next edition will be out!

#14 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Digital edition isn't available for me yet :(

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

#15 User is offline   TattooedMac 

• Mr Encryption
  • PipPipPip
    Mac Aficionado
    Aperture & NIK Plugins
    #Kickstarter Backer
    #HTML & #CSS

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostVulch, on 29 May 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Yer the digital edition has been out for weeks TM, but I haven't had time to read that either, sadly. The coming long weekend maybe - but then the next edition will be out!

View PostJamieD, on 29 May 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

Digital edition isn't available for me yet :(

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

Yea, and sadly the powers to be, don't really give us much hope either, Zinio sats its AMW, and AMW says its Zinio Posted Image

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
2012 13" MBP i7 & Late 2012 21" 2.9GHz i5 - 10.10.3 Yosemite…..iPhone5 - 8.3…….iPad Air 2 - 8.3…….ATV2 - 7.3…….3TB TimeCapsule…….3x Airport Express…….PPC G3 Blue & White 450 MHz

#16 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

Ah, speak o the devil. My June edition of Macworld via Zinio just arrived.

#17 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostVulch, on 29 May 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

Ah, speak o the devil. My June edition of Macworld via Zinio just arrived.

Mine too

#18 User is offline   TattooedMac 

• Mr Encryption
  • PipPipPip
    Mac Aficionado
    Aperture & NIK Plugins
    #Kickstarter Backer
    #HTML & #CSS

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

Yea mine came in at 2100hrs last night.
Can I get you all to check one thing for me please? I opened up Zinio (and ohhhh I love the new look and how they have finally grouped all mags in a stack then by On iPad, New and all. It actually looks sexy now) :D but ye, I went looking back through my issues, because I read the "The Setup" section this issue and then every issue back (great addition and one of my Fav section's albeit ½ page) and Ican't seem to see my January 2014 issue. Oct, Nov Dec 2013 then straight to February, March, April 2014 but no January ??
Its not under any section and doesn't come under 'All' were I should be able to download it again. Did I miss a month, was I asleep ? Ican't figure it out ?

EDIT : Actually there is a lot more than just that issue. I think its a bug from the update on the 28th May, as I am missing Aug, Sept and Oct 2013 as well, and quite a few from other Magazines I subscribe too.
Is anyone else having this issue with Zinio for iPad and have you updated to the latest version .v2.6 from 28 May 2014 ??

#19 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostTattooedMac, on 30 May 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Yea mine came in at 2100hrs last night.
Can I get you all to check one thing for me please?

The back issues available in my Zinio seem to be completely random, none of this years, some from last year, some from 2012, and some even from 2011!

#20 User is offline   pegi 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers ...but am no expert .

IMAc Intel 2.9GhZ Icore i5; Ipod Classic 120GB now reconverted to Iphone5. Ipad air. Love cooking and gardening and travelling and animated discussions.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

On the question of warranty, I just brought my one year old Ipad. No questions asked and I received a new one albeit not in a box. just plainly wrapped.

Under Australian laws, the articles have to be under 2 years or 2 years. That is a fact, and Apple can't wriggle out of that one anymore like they did last year. After 6 weeks it packed up and they gave me a recond one. Which I did not accept of course.

They do not ditch out reconditioned one anymore also, they are not allowed according to my Apple reseller. But the new one that they gave me has only a 90 days warranty. I wonder about it, but did not argue because I am going to sell it.

That applies to any electrical goods by the way.

And by the way as has been suggested above Deano...DO NOT BUY Apple Care. Waste of money really.
If you don't ask, there will be no answer!
Curiosity has immense benefits for all!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users