Macworld Forums: Help with Canon HDHF10 Mac 'compatible' scam - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help with Canon HDHF10 Mac 'compatible' scam Cant read video files

#1 User is offline   drdeb 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

HI - I bought this camcorder because the box said it was mac compatible. catch is, inside the box, it is compatible with still photos ONLY as the video software is windows only . Now I have footage on the camera and SD card but cant seem to read it - I dont know where to start. Google searches are no help. Any suggestions?
thanks very much

#2 User is offline   Ken Gracey 

• Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Computers & cars

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

I am no expert on this, but can you import it with iMovie, which comes as part if iLife on all new macs.

Tl
Come on 20K

Ken

#3 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

I've struck this a few times with a couple of different recorders, and I haven't solved the problem using a USB cable. The fix is simple though with a special Firewire cable.

Don't use the USB cable connection on the camera, get a Firewire cable with a small pin (I think it's a four pin) to fit the video out plug, fire up iMovie, and simply play the movie on the camera, you will be asked by iMovie if you want to import it.

I'm sorry if that's a bit simple, I can probably talk you through it but I'm no expert, having done it a few times over the last few years, and I seem to have to remember what I did last time every time I do it! You don't need any other software providing you can connect the firewire cable.

I bought the cable from Tandy for about $25.00. I'd give you more details except it found it's way to one of my kids houses only last weekend.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

P

#4 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Ah!

I remember having all sorts of problems with another camera, and not being able to read the file initially. I think it was one of those mini disk machines, and the disk had to be "finalised" before it could be read by the Mac.

I have no idea if it's the same for the solid state drives.

Cheers,

P

#5 User is offline   skyhawkmatthew 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Technology, Photography, Aviation

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

I have a Canon HF10 and couldn't be happier. Just plug in the camera with USB (no firewire, sorry Pete), fire up iMovie and hit the import button. It's always worked perfectly for me. Can you describe what Mac you have, and what version of Mac OS/iLife, as this may have a bearing on whether it works or not.
Never owned a PC...

#6 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (skyhawkmatthew @ Jul 6 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Canon HF10 and couldn't be happier. Just plug in the camera with USB (no firewire, sorry Pete),

Not at all! Glad it works without the fiddling!

Cheers,
P

#7 Guest_coaten_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:57 AM

Does the camera mount as a drive when you plug it into your 'puter?

Does it show up as a source device in iPhoto?

Can you access it via iMovie to import files? As Skyhawk said, it works OK for him.

It's not clear to me whether you're having trouble with connecting the device or that you just can't play the video files. It is known to work with other users so we have to assume a user error in this instance, so let's figure out what you're not doing that everybody else is. I've used it, too, and had no issues.

One thing I would recommend to anyone using AVCHD cameras is to download and install Perian. It's a Quicktime plug-in that may help with reading video files or may make no difference but it does no harm either way to have it on your system.

Get it at:

http://perian.org/#download

#8 User is offline   skyhawkmatthew 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Technology, Photography, Aviation

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

Yes, the HF10 shows up as a removable drive when you connect it to the computer, as does the SD card as another disk. As far as I remember, iPhoto will launch and download the photos.

I think the problem you might be having, drdeb, is that you're then opening up this drive on the desktop and finding the raw AVCHD files (.mod, I think) on the camera and trying to use these. Instead, you should open iMovie (star icon) and import the video using that application. THen you can proceed to create your movie and share it.

Perian is a great plugin to enable playback of many formats, but it doesn't play AVCHD - You'll need VLC if you really want to play the raw files, and even then the playback will be very choppy.
Never owned a PC...

#9 Guest_coaten_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

You are quite right, Skyhawk. However, I have solved playback issues of (so-called) AVCHD files by installing Perian. Sanyo has a peculiar file format structure for its Xacti cameras, for instance, which I have found Perian solves. Before Perian, iMovie would only play the audio track from an Xacti-recorded clip. Afterwards, the video and audio streams came together. I'm not sure what's happening, other than to say it appears Perian helps Quicktime punch through the object wrapper to better interpret how to handle the streams. And, of course, Sanyo needs a slap in the face for making life so difficult for Mac users.

My suggestion was of a general nature, as opposed to being a specific fix for this issue, and perhaps I should have been clearer about that.

Oh, and me? I'll stick with my HV20. This was the tape-based forerunner to the HF10 and what a little beauty it is.

#10 User is offline   Some Random Bloke 

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

I second SHM's suggestion. It works fine in iMovie. Just be aware it takes a long time to push that data through the USB cable. iMovie 08 also took ages to find the cam, but iMovie 09 is much better.

QUOTE (drdeb @ Jul 6 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HI - I bought this camcorder because the box said it was mac compatible. catch is, inside the box, it is compatible with still photos ONLY as the video software is windows only . Now I have footage on the camera and SD card but cant seem to read it - I dont know where to start. Google searches are no help. Any suggestions?
thanks very much

QUOTE (skyhawkmatthew @ Jul 7 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, the HF10 shows up as a removable drive when you connect it to the computer, as does the SD card as another disk. As far as I remember, iPhoto will launch and download the photos.

I think the problem you might be having, drdeb, is that you're then opening up this drive on the desktop and finding the raw AVCHD files (.mod, I think) on the camera and trying to use these. Instead, you should open iMovie (star icon) and import the video using that application. THen you can proceed to create your movie and share it.

Perian is a great plugin to enable playback of many formats, but it doesn't play AVCHD - You'll need VLC if you really want to play the raw files, and even then the playback will be very choppy.

"I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse that can stop Kaylee from being cheerful...

...Sometimes you just wanna duct tape her mouth and dump her in the hold for a month."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users