• You cannot reply to this topic

Is There Anybody Out There...

#1 User is offline   JamieD 

• (geekus cynicus extremis)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:tech, home audio, music, films, books, toys, lego

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:05 PM

Colour me surprised, we have an Apple event in the early hours of Tuesday morning and yet there has been no talk of it in the forums.

Are the forums now officially dead or is everyone just having some time off?

No doubt we'll see the Apple Watch in more detail and rumor has it we'll also see a 12" MacBook Air Retina (MacBook Air+ perhaps?) and maybe a MacBook Pro refresh.

I'd like to see an updated Apple TV (but don't think we will) and it'd also be great to see something completely unexpected and out of left field.... I can hope can't I?

#2 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

6am start here for the event so not really that early, will be interesting to see if there are any surprises

#3 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

Sexy new laptop (in 3 different colours - yay! I'd still like a black option though), cheaper Apple TV, and more stuff about the Apple Watch.

Personally I'm not yet convinced about the Apple Watch, it seems overpriced and I just don't see it as a "must have" item. Sure it does some cool stuff but nothing that I see as necessary or a compelling

#4 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

The truth is out there.

A watch that no one needs but many will buy, Nice little update to the MBPro too, but now more expensive thanks to the climbing US dollar!

Must check and see how good it looks for you.

P

#6 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

Yep I just don't see any need for the Apple Watch, it doesn't seem to fill any particular need that isn't already addressed by cheaper devices and it is quite frankly far too expensive. I don't doubt that it will sell as there will be people who think that they 'need' it but for me it just has no appeal.

The 12" MacBook is a very nice looking device but I think will for a niche market, it's designed for those that want an iPad with a built in keyboard that runs OS X rather than iOS. How long will it be before a hybrid iOS/OS X operating system is running on it that gives you the best of both worlds. Perhaps this is the fabled 12" iPad Pro?

On the plus side it's nice to see the Apple TV go down by $30 on this side of the Tasman, now if only they would make the remote bluetooth rather the infrared it'd be the (almost*) perfect media box. I know I can install the Apple Remote app on the iPhone and use that but I just love the little Apple TV remote and surely it wouldn't be hard to make it bluetooth?

* I say (almost) perfect as perfection is impossible to obtain as something can always be made better, even if only in a subtle way. Posted Image

PS. Any word on when the Edit function will actually work properly and not remove line enders/line breaks? Having to choose edit a couple of times then 'use full editor' gets more than a little annoying

#7 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:29 AM

Yes the Apple Watch doesn't interest me, especially at the laughable Aust prices. Speaking of which I'm suprised Apple havent moved on the Apple Aust store prices yet for iPhone/imac/ipad, seeing as the A$ has declined 30%+ since the last pricing. Only a matter of time before we see a price rise across the board I suspect.

Speaking of this forum, yes sadly it appears to be dead. No activity for weeks. Where has everybody gone? (no I mean really, what forum to people recommend that actually has users?)

#8 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

Yes, that state of the forums is a worry isn't it. I emailed Jonathan last week asking what we can do to bring people back and offering my time and commitment to help but as yet have not heard anything back.

As for forums that have some activity, both mactalk.com.au and appletalk.com.au seem to be failry active. Given that mactalk is owned by Niche I suspect that the attention may be going there rather than here?

I'd love for the forums to get back to their old active state but I fear that without the input of Niche this just isn't going to happen. I think back to the days when the forums were a vibrant community where it was difficult to keep up with all of the posts, chatter and banter but sadly those days seem to have past. Perhaps we've all outgrown it, or maybe it's due to the loss of the many regulars who used to post....

Some food for thought? Perhaps someone at Niche might read this and help to breath some life into the old girl yet, but my gut feeling is that we're the last rats to be leaving a sinking ship. I just hope that the magazine survives given the recent closures of other Mac mags.

A copy of the email I sent is below:

Hi Jonathan

I've noticed that the forums are not being frequented any more, with an upcoming Apple event tomorrow morning I normally would have expected there to be some lively chatter going on about this in the forums, or even some not so lively chatter.

What can we do to save the forums? I realise that upkeep and changes etc. take resources that you may no longer have but I fear that it something is not done to help breathe some new life into the forums that their sole inhabitants will be myself and a few tumble weeds. I'd welcome so thoughts on what you think might help to get the forums back on track and encourage some new blood and get things a bit more alive. I'm more than willing to give some time to this in the evenings as I've found the forums to be a place where I have made a few friends over the years that I have been there and I'd like to give other people that same experience. I started here as a Mac newbie on over the years have not only found help here but given it as well and that is what the forums are about - sharing (and a little caring too).

Perhaps this could be some food for thought and get some ideas flowing that might help breath some life back in to the forums before they flatline….

If you'd like to repost this in the hope that it might prompt some discussion please feel free.

Thanks

Jamie

#9 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

So Mactalk is also Niche?, that being the case maybe Niche should just overtly direct is to that forum, devote their (and our support) to that, and close this one down with a note saying..."Head over to Mactalk". Nice if they arranged for our logins to work there, but that might be too much to ask.

#10 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:36 AM

Yes it might be the best thing that they can do but I'm starting to doubt that anyone from Niche even bothers to read the forums any more...

#11 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

Oh well it was fun while it lasted, no response in the forums, no response to emails - I fear that there is no hope for these forums now.

That makes me sad, I made some good friends and had some great times here but I guess that all things must come to an end.

#12 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Yes, no posts since our last posts, so I'm off the Mactalk. Before I go however I'm going to make a point of unsubscribing to the Macworld newsletter, due to the irritating pop ups asking me to subscribe!

Macworld ignored our complaints about that, so now that has LOST them subscriber.

Turn the lights out on your way out, Jamie.

#13 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:30 AM

Yep, I think I'll do the same.

Posted Image

It's been fun.

#14 User is offline   bitingmidge 

• Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The world and the things in it.

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

Maybe I'll see you there... or maybe I wont' be bothered and I'll just bob up if I have a problem! :)
cheers

P

#15 User is offline   klytia 

• Uncle Spam
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Racing yachts, boating in general, riding my horse, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang which i hope to own in the near future, my new iMac

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

I tried but Jono isn't listening......

Posted Image
"Reality distortion field" mine is still distorted....

#16 User is offline   TLCAUS 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

Jono can't reply Jamie, he quit a few weeks back, they are currently looking for a new sucker I mean editor to take over the mag and web site.

#17 User is offline   JamieD 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

Yep I see that he's gone, I'm still waiting to hear when/if the last 2 prizes I won in the mag will be sent to me.

Unfortunately my gut feeling is that the magazine will soon join other Mac mags that have ceased to be, I guess we can only hope that if it does vanish we'll get refunds on our remaining subscriptions.... yeah right!

#18 User is offline   TLCAUS 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

I stopped my subscription years ago, and there is hardly a newsagent in Melbourne that sells it anymore. So I guess it's been 2 years since I have even picked one up to browse through.

I would love to see a new editor take over the mag and web site, but I can't see it happening, the site and mag have been on the slide for a long time. It would take a mirrical to get it back on track, plus cost more than niche I am sure want to pay, for very little or zero return.

So at the end of the day the site is virtually screwed and so is the mag, it's been good fun for the last 7 years, but all good things need to come to an end

#19 User is offline   Vulch 

• Mentor
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

It's a shame as the mag is still really good! I still enjoy each new issue, but the website has been neglected for years.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users