New Parallels 11 – offering best of both worlds and special sauce for developers
Parallels has launched Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac. In a shift from the past, there are now three editions with a new version developers, designers and power users – Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition and Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition, previously known as the Enterprise Edition.
The new editions of Parallels Desktop for Mac benefit from speed improvements of up to 50 percent, Travel Mode which extends battery life up to 25 percent while on the go, support for Windows 10 along with OS X El Capitan readiness and a host of other features for both Windows and Mac users.
The developer edition has really piqued our interest with integration between Parallels and Microsoft’s Visual Studio. Developers can now create an application in a virtual machine with a machine configured with their development tools and then seamlessly send their app to another virtual machine for testing with the push of a button.
The Windows 10 support that’s been added isn’t just about running Windows 10 in its own sandbox. When running in Coherence Mode – when all the Windows UI is hidden so applications running in a virtual machine look like Mac apps – you can access features such as Cortana.
Cortana is Microsoft’s voice recognition and control program. Think of it as being similar to Siri. However, Siri isn’t yet part of the Mac. Cortana lets you control both Windows and Mac applications due to some tight collaboration between Parallels and Microsoft.
In a sense, you can run both OS X and Windows getting the best of both operating systems.
- Always on Cortana enables customers to use Microsoft’s virtual assistant with Mac applications, even when Windows 10 is not the forefront application
- Travel Mode extends the battery life by up to 25 percent by temporarily shutting off select resources that drain power
- Quick Look for Windows extends this cool Mac convenience to Windows documents and files
- New Force Touch gesture support enables a quick preview of files with Quick Look or the ability to look up the definition of an unknown word
- Improved Mac Window Controls include a new Coherence mode button
- Most recently used files list now can be viewed on the Mac regardless of where those files are stored: on the Mac, in a virtual machine, in the cloud or on a file server
- New easy printing with all Mac printer options support saves time with an intuitive solution for OS X users
- “New Item” support for creation of new files in Windows apps including Microsoft Outlook®, Excel® and Word
- Now users can easily cancel time-consuming virtual machine actions
- Mac location services are now available to Windows applications
- Automatic synchronisation of the volume setting of a virtual machine with that of the Mac
- Enhanced file associations with smart notification messaging helps change file association in OS X
- Improvements in the setup and use of a virtual machine to directly access a Boot Camp® Windows partition—without rebooting
- One-time opportunity to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Pro Edition from Parallels Desktop 9 or 10 for $49.99 per year
- Improved Japanese keyboard—specific to the Japanese language edition only
- All of the features of Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac, as well as the following new and key features:
- Integration with key developer tools, such as Docker, Visual Studio (plug-in), Chef and Jenkins
- Support for Vagrant and other developer tools
- Additional user profiles for developers, power users and testers for optimal configuration for their particular scenarios
- Advanced networking tools and configuration for virtual networks to test complex networking scenarios, including the ability to simulate some network instabilities
- Cloud storage access through Box.net, Dropbox for Business and OneDrive Business, for sharing from Windows to Mac
- Headless mode for running virtual machines in the background without user interface
- Ability to create linked clones to conserve disk space and optimize installations
- Enhanced memory (64 GB RAM) and processing power (16 vCPU) for improved performance
- Nested virtualisation for Linux guests
- Modern.IE test environments in the Parallels New Virtual Machine Wizard provide access to free trials of browsers for testing
- 24/7 phone and email support
- All of the features of the Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Pro Edition, as well as the following key additions:
- Centralised administration and management capabilities to keep IT in control of virtual machines
- Web-based Parallels License Management Portal with a single activation key to eliminate manual management of individual license keys
- Business-level support, including prioritised 24/7 phone and email support options
- USB devices policy enforcement for additional security
Availability and Pricing
Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac, Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Pro Edition and Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Business Edition are available now to both current and new Parallels Desktop for Mac users at www.parallels.com/desktop and at the following retailers; Apple Retail & Online Store; JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman, Domayne, Next Byte, Computers Now, Mac1 and leading computer stores.
The recommended retail price of Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac is AU$99.95. Upgrades for existing Parallels Desktop 9 or 10 for Mac customers are AU$64.95, with an introductory offer to upgrade to a Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition subscription for $49.99 per year. Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Pro Edition is available at AU$124.95 and Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Business Edition is available for AU$124.95 per year. Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition includes a complimentary Parallels Access subscription to remotely access their Mac from any device.